Milling 273 heads

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
I have a non commando 273 and was thinking of getting an extra set of heads to mill since I have access to equipment to do so and 273 heads can't be that pricey. Would there be any benefit to this? How much should I mill? The car has a edelbrock db4 and a carter avs, as well as a rv cam, dual exhaust on stock manifolds (early a so I'm working on a plan for headers). Not looking to burn through tires just something to do while bored at work. Thoughts

Those are closed chamber heads already. Depending on how much lift the cam has, you might have valve head collision. Milling a lot off of a head can require intake milling too so... Mill on the ld4b too ?

The HP version of the 273 uses the same heads as the low compression 2 barrel version. The pistons make the compression not the heads. If you mill the heads you will have a devil of a time getting the intake to fit unless you mill it too. Do yourself a favor and leave them alone. A nice cam, intake/4 barrel, and headers will make a difference as far as bolt on's go. tmm

-
Back