milling 440source heads

-

tooslow

Reaction score
If i want to up my Compression whats wrong with milling 440Source One heads to 68cc's(head and intake)

I checked with 440source and you can take them to 64cc's if you want. They have enough material to go .100inch no problem
My EDY heads are 84cc's so the 440Source One heads at 68 would be a nice CR bump-right??

I run a mechanical cam and adj rockers so valve adjustment would be no big deal-right?

............U would still need to change ur pushrods..........just mill ur eddys, u already have them.......kim..........

Eds are off my 12 to 1 CR E body and I need to return them I dont want to mill them because then i wont have heads for my Challenger
Dart: I did not do my math when i selected pistons and my deck clearance is .100. With my darts 906 heads I have 8 to 1CR which is to low for my cam combo. I do not want to change pistons!!! 440Source heads are $1000 bucks,
Milling them to 68 cc's . How will this effect the quench????
Thanks-devil is in the details

Eds are off my 12 to 1 CR E body and I need to return them I dont want to mill them because then i wont have heads for my Challenger
Dart: I did not do my math when i selected pistons and my deck clearance is .100. With my darts 906 heads I have 8 to 1CR which is to low for my cam combo. I do not want to change pistons!!! 440Source heads are $1000 bucks,
Milling them to 68 cc's . How will this effect the quench????
Thanks-devil is in the details

Are you saying you pistons are .100 in the hole ? If so you can mill all you want off the heads because your pistons will still be .100 in the hole = NO QUENCH.

change the pistons

Are you saying you pistons are .100 in the hole ? If so you can mill all you want off the heads because your pistons will still be .100 in the hole = NO QUENCH.

change the pistons

God Bless you JOHNRR!!!!
I wont increase my compression ratio. This is what i want to do with out changing pistons??
How will milling my heads to 68 CC's effect the quench??/ Will it make a differance?
The heads will go to 68 but what problems will I have??
I know i have to mill the intake

Time to 0 deck the block. Do you have valve reliefs in pistons ?

Thanks Mr Hemi.
Forged flat tops with valve reliefs
Why 0 deck the block?
Can I fix my mistake by milling AL from 84 CC to 68 CC"S?I can do this with 440Source One heads. Enough material and I checked.
I would prefer to not tear a running motor apart.

If disassembly is my only real option then I am going to put my 906 heads back on and
go with a centrigul supercharger

Lots of work no matter which way you go. The Supercharger will fix it

I'm not an engine guy so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of quench distance is the distance from the piston to the head. In other words, and amount that the piston is in the hole plus the thickness of the gasket. In your case that would be .120" for a shim gasket or .140" for a composite gasket. I believe the perfect quench distance is .040" to .043". That's why Mr Hemi suggested 0 decking the block (0 deck and composite gasket would be about perfect quench). Milling the heads will reduce the chamber cc's and increase the CR but it won't do anything to reduce the quench distance.

Now, for my understanding, is getting the quench distance correct any more or less important w/ closed vs open chamber heads?

...................if u mill that much off the heads u will have way more problems than u know what to do with........pushrod angle, rocker angle, clearance for pushrods, milling the intake, etc.......need higher comp pistons...off set grind the crank .060......then ur pistons will only b approx .040 in the hole......then take some off the heads...kim..........

just call keith black you can get the compression that you want simply by replacing the pistons. i just did a 440 source install with a 383. milling heads will lead to other problems. more expensive its actually less expensive to get your compression with new pistons. also if yougo with supercharger, you will need lower compression anyways lol just my opinion

Ok-I looked and my problem box is plum FULL!!!(not going to mill)
I think i will put 906's back on and scrape some cash together for a Paxton Centrifugal SC
I have always wanted to do somethinh different anyway.
Thanks for the Help!!!

-
Back