Milling ex manifold Question

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I need to have my magnum large port iron ex manifolds thinned for my oddball swap. the center flange on the center ports are 1/2" thick. How much can I have safely milled? Thank you for your time. RR

OK I will leave 5/16. Thanks guys. this is a 360 going into a 63 dart & I'm having a hell of a time on my sideways width. Maybe those aftermarket EQ heads a bit wider than norm.

could you shim the motor over 1/4 inch? I had a 400/451 with Hi-po logs in my 65 A and they cleared....?
Solid mounts.....

Last edited:
Robert, what are the manifolds interfering with? I assume they are the 1500/Dakota large outlet manifolds? Are you running power steering?

I have a drivers side Large outlet that was on a 1993 5.2 Mag. Dakota that I will not be using if you need one or do you have a set already?

With the iron heads on the 318 we started with, we also had to grind the casting numbers off of the right side manifold. When he upgraded to an aluminum headed 408, we gained another 1/8 inch of clearance. Go figure.

these are the large outlet manifolds & I have both of em. this is a dirt track stock car & I will be taking the inner fenders out & I started on that close to the UCA cam bolt supports on the pass side which gained me some additional space & I slotted the manual steering box mounting holes so I could lower it a bit which gained me some (I hope that doesn't mess up the steering geometry). On the dr side it is a thin steel shaft & not the OE column so that helps. I'm thinking that maybe I can shift everything over to the dr side a bit more. I am going to make it over there today & I will measure the flange thickness of the good 340 pass side mani that I have (though its overall width is way wider than these magnums cuz I tried it) & also go to a machine shop though one shop did me that it cannot be done cuz the outlet flange is in the same horizontle plane but I would certainly think they could start milling from the other end & stop at the last port flange bolt hole.

View attachment 1715823522 View attachment 1715823521 View attachment 1715823522 I measured the center pair of manifold port flange thickness on the 340 pass ex manifold & it is 1/2", the same as the magnum manifolds but it overall is way wider. I took the magnum manifolds in to be machined & i told em to take off 1/4 which is a 1/16 more than recommended but I am getting a bit frustrated. Earlier I had used 273 mtr mounts along with the thick "brick" insulators. I used several washers on the dr mount & welded the triangle ear on the pass mount & the motor tilted severely lower on the driver side so I shimmed the mt/insulator up 3/4" with (2) 3/8 thick plates to level it side to side. here are pics of it. Any more thoughts on how to straighten this mess out? thank you!View attachment 1715823521 View attachment 1715823522

mtr mts

SAM_1187.JPG

SAM_1189.JPG

-
Back