Milling Heads

-

bbengs70@yahoo.

67redfish
Reaction score
Hello all,

:study:

I am trying to determine what unforeseen problems might be caused by milling approximately .0265 off my 273 cylinder heads to increase compression in conjunction with a change to a MP thin head gasket (approximately .025). Will that amount cause any problems with the valvetrain that would require other modification? Thanks for any and all advice on this. :salute:

hi, shouldn't have any problems, rocker adjuster will make up for the difference. can always install .020 shims under rocker shafts.

How much can be milled before having valve/piston clearance problems?

From experience, Make sure you check the cc before milling so you know how much you have to work with. I took some j-heads in and told them to mill a certain amount not knowing they had been milled before and ended up with 49cc chambers. Also it's going to change the intake fit. You will need to have it milled to match the heads if you want it right. There is a formula floating around in here with the amount needed to take off the intake.

Got that. Just wondering about piston/valve interference. The factory has valve reliefs, so I assume that it must be pretty close from the factory.

Can you actually find those skinny head gaskets anywhere? I've been looking all over...

Steve

hi, shouldn't have any problems, rocker adjuster will make up for the difference. can always install .020 shims under rocker shafts.
Is it a 1:1 ratio? In other words, mill the heads .025 and use .025 rocker shaft shims?

-
Back