mini starter problems

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
I just replaced my mini starter on my 440 10 5 1 compression with one from 440 source I have started it about ten times in the last month and at first it seem ok. Now if i go to start it seems like the starter is grinding i check the bolts and they are tight. I was wondering if a bad ground would cause this. I have a ground runnin from the k frame to the motor. The battery is located in the trunk. I have the neg cable grounded to the trunk floor which is alluimin. I was wondering if that would be the problem. I am going to change it and run it to the frame rail.

I have a 360 in my drag car with a very high compression, probably 12.5 to 1. I only get about 30 starts before the starter grinds and goes bad. I have been wearing out Autozone with their lifetime warranty, but it's time for me to get a real high performance starter.

have y'all ever thought about either wiring in a monetary or toggle switch that interrupts the coil/ignition while you spin the engine up to speed? In a couple of seconds of cranking let go of switch to fire ignition. What's hard on a starter is getting everything moving AND pressing against the compression AND pressing against the plugs trying to fire the mixture. If any of you'ze guys have seen Landy prepped cars you've seen that setup.

have y'all ever thought about either wiring in a monetary or toggle switch that interrupts the coil/ignition while you spin the engine up to speed? In a couple of seconds of cranking let go of switch to fire ignition. What's hard on a starter is getting everything moving AND pressing against the compression AND pressing against the plugs trying to fire the mixture. If any of you'ze guys have seen Landy prepped cars you've seen that setup.
That is a good setup. I am going to have to rewire my trans-brake and delay box and will also add that along with some other mods. Just been to busy/lazy to do it.

-
Back