mini tub

-

sefus

Reaction score
I'm jumping into the mini tub on my 73 Swinger and have a few questions for the dudes that have done it. I got a great deal on a whole 8 3/4 rear end from a friends 74 Duster that was narrowed 7 inches and he ran a 15 x 12 inch wheel with a 5 inch back spacing so thats the size rim I will be looking to go with (for reference on the second question).

First is the trunk hinges, should I just chop them off and convert it to a pin on lid? That looks like it would be easiest but would like to keep it hinged if possible.

Next is how big should I really go, as in what is the nominal size for the tires on a 15 inch rim (410 gears with a 3800 stalled 727 that wants to see some street and highway driving - might step down to 373 gears but not too soon)and how big of a tub will there need to be to allow for it. Summit has three sizes of tubs avalible but too big would be a waste of space and would probably make me have to cut out the truck hinges.

I'd ask my "buddy" that i got it from directly but we havent talked for a while for various reasons and hes hard to get ahold of in any case so any help would be greatly apprciated. Thanks!

-Sefus

I’m not positive, but judging from the dimensions of the rear end, rim size, and back spacing…I think you’re looking at a full tub (cutting the frame rails and tubs), not a mini (cutting and moving the wheel tubs by 3 inches, moving springs to the frame rail). My friend and I just finished the mini tub on my 67 Barracuda. Rims are 15x10 with Hoosier QTP 28x11.5, axel is standard A body (uncut).

Here is what my friend and I followed for my mini tub.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/wells.shtml

Hope this helps.

Well would you look at that! I havent been on bigblockdarts in a while. Thanks for the link anyhow.

-
Back