minimum polebarn size

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
allright people, i know this has been asked a thousand times, but this time it is for my personal application, so here it goes again

what is the smallest size polebarn i should consider?

by winter, my oldest will be taking driving classes and we'll need another spot to park another car
so, im hoping to build a polebarn

off the top of my head, i want to put a trailer in there (small, 4x8) his car in the summer, and mine in the winter, so a charger or duster and my ride on lawnmower

i would like to move my workbench and tool box out there (and when i say "i" i mean, my wife wants me to clear the garage from anything that isnt a car)

i dont want to move the bikes in there, but i might have to tear down the shed they are in to make room for them

so, what should i look for?

I have a 30X40 and can fit 4 cars and my 9N Ford tractor inside. JMO 65

Our new place has a 24' x 42' metal building that fits my needs almost perfectly. I store two vehicles in the rear/back half, and still have a 24' x 24' (or better) space in the front for tool boxes, two small garden trailers, the riding lawnmower, etc, etc.

Of course since we have the space (acreage) I'd like to have more, but I really don't need it.

(Just don't tell my wife I ever said that!)

It doesn't matter how much space you have. You will FILL it.
i've heard that one before...and i dont doubt it
but right now, i got to see what i can while figuring out a budget and what is feasable

The pole barn is one cost, the concrete floor is yet another! 65

The smallest my hands can build it O scale. I tried an HO scale one once, but couldn't do it. I have a friend who models N scale and he has one. I don't see how he built it. And then there's Z scale.

The pole barn is one cost, the concrete floor is yet another! 65
Haven't looked at the floor yet (I got a guy I trust for that) but I'm seeing a few polebarn option, erected for say 25k

I wonder how much more I'd spend on electric?

I have 30x40, not enough room. At this point I wouldn’t consider smaller than 40x50. I’d probably outgrow that as well.

I'm a visual thinker, so I tend to mock stuff up. Whenever I've faced a need/desire for a new storage structure, I gather as much of the stuff I want to put in it together, and see how much space it takes up. Can you get around stuff to get what's at the back, or do you have to move everything to get at anything? Can you double stack anything? Is it strictly storage, or will you use the tools your wife is kicking out of the garage?

Keep in mind that the electric cost will likely be increased by the cost of bringing power out to it, possibly needing increased service to your house. Also, if it goes through a separate meter, I think Michigan law allows the utility to charge commercial rate for a non occupied dwelling - I was paying almost $30/month in readiness charges, and about $3 for electricity. Check with the utility. How much of the wiring can you do yourself? On my new barn, I had real electricians bring the power in, install some overhead lights, and start me a couple 110 circuits, which I extended to many more outlets. They are coming back to put in 220 in a few places. I also dug the trench from the meter on my house to the barn.

My shop inside dimensions are 50' wide x 34' deep. If I did it again, I'd make it 42' deep. I've already filled what I have!!

Just adding up the width of the vehicles already proposed is 32'. I would imagine the 30'x40' would be minimal.

I have a 40’ x 40’ and it’s way too small. I’ve gotten rid of a lot of stuff but still have a car and three tractors in there, plus the lawnmower. I built mine as an agricultural building because I could. No inspections, other than the footings. It is a commercial steel building. Wired it to code but no inspections.

While you are figuring the footprint consider the roof height cause you will want a lift sooner or later. The other thing we lucked into is a row of translucent panels going all around near the roof. Saves a ton on lighting.

Mine is 24x30 it’s all I had room for. It’s going to have a 16’w single garage door once enclosed. Big enough to have two cars. Ideally, one car and a bunch of junk.
IMG_2352.jpeg

I'm a visual thinker, so I tend to mock stuff up. Whenever I've faced a need/desire for a new storage structure, I gather as much of the stuff I want to put in it together, and see how much space it takes up. Can you get around stuff to get what's at the back, or do you have to move everything to get at anything? Can you double stack anything? Is it strictly storage, or will you use the tools your wife is kicking out of the garage?

Keep in mind that the electric cost will likely be increased by the cost of bringing power out to it, possibly needing increased service to your house. Also, if it goes through a separate meter, I think Michigan law allows the utility to charge commercial rate for a non occupied dwelling - I was paying almost $30/month in readiness charges, and about $3 for electricity. Check with the utility. How much of the wiring can you do yourself? On my new barn, I had real electricians bring the power in, install some overhead lights, and start me a couple 110 circuits, which I extended to many more outlets. They are coming back to put in 220 in a few places. I also dug the trench from the meter on my house to the barn.
There is a small shed next to where I want to put the pole barn, and it has electric (110)

I have no issue pulling power from there and wiring the whole thing in myself

But, that would only work with LED lights and not running 5, 6 tools at once and of course, no welder

But, that might be a way to power it at first and kind of piece meal it

They are never big enough. With what you want to put in. 48x48 stick built not a pole. I used 12 ft lumber on a 18 high wall . Gave me 13.6 . room for a lift. Then I build a second floor around the lift and put a crane in. Mine is 32 wide by 48 deep I should have went the extra 16 ft.

When I poured the walls I did a 2x2 footer with a 4 ft wall on top and a 8 inch floor. . This way in the future I would have the foundation strength to add on going up. And I did. Now I want to add on for a place to keep cars. Thinking of a 4 post to put cars upstairs. This should just have been a tad bigger. Last 2 pics are the upstairs. Full kitchen ,bathroom, living room, bedroom, Pool Table , Bar, Washer Dryer, and a 2 tier deck. Tight but served over 50 people up there for Thanksgiving.

100_0110.JPG

100_0111.JPG

100_0121.JPG

100_0129.JPG

106_0032 (2).JPG

asset%281%29.jpg

asset.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

As big as, your wallet will allow.

I have a 36' x 48' and wish it was a 50' x 70'. My friend Terry has a 160' x 400' and that seems like just about the right size when I win the lottery.

Tom

I have a 110 Miller welder does up to 1/8 if you dont push it. My 110 compressor is small but duty cycles enough for all my air tools. My 4 post lift runs on 110. It can be done. My pole barn is 40x70 and I heat it with 2- 450 torpedo heaters. 1 brings it to 55 degrees no matter how cold outside. I'm just across the state from you. BTW my lift is the wide 4 post Bendpak and its movable. Did the 8 inch floor with rerod so I could service semi's if I want to.
Resized_20201122_113208.jpeg
Resized_20230102_113911 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
im getting honed in to a 30x40 barn, seems like that is the biggest i can fit there, without clearing too much forest

come to think of it, my welder and compressor are also 110, but id like to be prepared

good thing you brought up the lift, ive been looking at different heights vs. cost and i think i want to build it as low as a lift allows (building it high enough to fit a second floor is going to be out of my budget)

so what is the minimum height needed for a lift ?

Your lift choice will determine that. Whole new can of worms. When I researched everybody said they were just as good as a bendpak so I got a bendpak!

In general, a typical 2-post lift needs a bit over 12'. Some will vary but if you don't have a specific one picked out, I'd go 12'-6" and sleep easy. I have a Forward brand (made by Rotary) and it's about 12'-2".

I stay away from garage builds because they are so addictive. I have to admit that each time I have built a garage they have gotten better or more precise to what I am needing at that time in my life. I like pole barns for the cost per square foot and how the technology has changed and improved.
2nd home garage in the mountains of VA. 30 x 40 and a stick built 16 x 16 motorcycle garage. 18 x 22 at my primary house and another 16 x 16 motorcycle garage. 2008 sold the mountain place and bought property nearby to Richmond. 40 x 64 x 12 also put in a 2 BR apartment with AC. I had 2 lifts. Also two overhangs. They are cheap space for the dollars.
40 x 64 x 12 on the left.
New garage on the right. 60 x 100 x 14? 20 x 60 mezzanine. AC for the entire garage. Now has 16 4 post lifts.
I would have done his garage doors differently.

Sold it to a friend. I helped him do another garage. The one to the right.
IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3442.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back