• Town and Country

• Toyota Sienna

• Honda Odyssey

• Other

• Don’t do it man

• Just put one kid in the trunk

Results are only viewable after voting.
-
look into any transportation companies nearby or limo services. They often have minivans with high mileage but they are well taken care of. I myself have a 2010 RAM with 205k miles on it now and nobody would ever want to buy it from me if they knew the mileage, but if they saw it they would be all over it. I take meticulous care just because when I bought it new in 2010 $33,000 was a ton of money for me to think about spending on a new truck. Glad I bought it when I did, I can't get over the prices of new ones. But if my engine blows or tranny goes, I will invest in new ones cause it will still be a lot cheaper than replacing with new.
How is the rust situation in WA for cars usually? Mass highways used salt brine quite liberally so rust is always an issue with used cars here. I'm personally more concerned with rust than miles usually.
We don’t get it like y’all do out there. Road salting is done in emergency situations for the most part around here. It rains a lot though, so trapped water is usually the cause of rot here. Most of the rot you find is on floor pans/spare tire/lower quarters not suspension or frame components like you find.

I don't know a lot of technical stuff about the Chrysler mini vans, but I do know they are pretty nice. They have fold flat seats in the back, which makes a flat cargo area to haul stuff if needed. With 3 kids in seats, make it all about the ease and comfort for your wife. Hondas are my pic of the Jap vans, but the Hyundai/Kia's have become pretty dependable vehicles as well, like the gentleman above stated. Good luck in your search!

:thumbsup:

I don't know a lot of technical stuff about the Chrysler mini vans, but I do know they are pretty nice. They have fold flat seats in the back, which makes a flat cargo area to haul stuff if needed. With 3 kids in seats, make it all about the ease and comfort for your wife. Hondas are my pic of the Jap vans, but the Hyundai/Kia's have become pretty dependable vehicles as well, like the gentleman above stated. Good luck in your search!

:thumbsup:
My wife really liked the Pacifica we rented, very easy to get the kids and out of and tons of room. But I feel like that’s true for most minivans. Honda does get the top pick for reliability amongst the others.

I'm a huge fan of the Chrysler minivan products. I bought a loaded 2014 Town and Country in 2016. It was a off-lease company car from one of the pharmaceutical companies with precisely 40000 miles on it. A ton of car for a well-haggled $20k in cash. We had it in NJ, we now have it in CA -- I even drove solo with the dog across the country when we moved. My two little kids love it. I still have it and I especially like the dents and scratches that make it OUR car. That's our "modern" car for my wife and I daily drive the 72 Swinger seven miles to work. We are going to drive that Town & Country until it till it seriously breaks, and then I'm going to go straight to a dealership to buy a off-lease Chrysler Pacifica.

I think most people are crazy for preferring giant three-row giant SUVs versus minivans. Theyre better to drive, more roomy and multi-functional, full of amenties, the seats all fold into the floor to make it a cargo van. ****, mine has 12 factory cupholders - think about that for a second. But that's all subjective. The one fully-objective, undeniable, incontrovertible advantage of minivans: sliding side doors.

I'm a huge fan of the Chrysler minivan products. I bought a loaded 2014 Town and Country in 2016. It was a off-lease company car from one of the pharmaceutical companies with precisely 40000 miles on it. A ton of car for a well-haggled $20k in cash. We had it in NJ, we now have it in CA -- I even drove solo with the dog across the country when we moved. My two little kids love it. I still have it and I especially like the dents and scratches that make it OUR car. That's our "modern" car for my wife and I daily drive the 72 Swinger seven miles to work. We are going to drive that Town & Country until it till it seriously breaks, and then I'm going to go straight to a dealership to buy a off-lease Chrysler Pacifica.

I think most people are crazy for preferring giant three-row giant SUVs versus minivans. Theyre better to drive, more roomy and multi-functional, full of amenties, the seats all fold into the floor to make it a cargo van. ****, mine has 12 factory cupholders - think about that for a second. But that's all subjective. The one fully-objective, undeniable, incontrovertible advantage of minivans: sliding side doors.
SUVs don’t work for us, my wife is very petite, so high ground clearance is usually a no-go. They also suck gas and are more expensive to insure usually. I really like the latest generation of Chrysler minivans.

Does it have to be a minivan? If not and you need 3 rows, consider a Toyota Highlander. If you only need two rows then consider a 1st generation Toyota Venza.

I literally grew up in Chrysler minivans, and have had family own all generations from the boxy 1990's clear to current model years. Even for the people that don't really like current Chrysler products, or even back in the darker years, one thing that they consistently had good reviews on was the minivans. I'm not sure how much Pacificas have come down to, but my sister has one and loves it. My aunt has 150K miles on a last gen Caravan. It's seen the repair shop maybe once since new.

IF you at all consider an SUV, Durango's and Jeep commanders don't sit all that high. my wife is also a 5 footer, and drives a Jeep Commander in the winter (3 rows of seats) the Durango's with 3 rows are the same platform as a GC, just stretched. But yes...they are Gas hogs compared to something with a 3.6 V6

I literally grew up in Chrysler minivans, and have had family own all generations from the boxy 1990's clear to current model years. Even for the people that don't really like current Chrysler products, or even back in the darker years, one thing that they consistently had good reviews on was the minivans. I'm not sure how much Pacificas have come down to, but my sister has one and loves it. My aunt has 150K miles on a last gen Caravan. It's seen the repair shop maybe once since new.

IF you at all consider an SUV, Durango's and Jeep commanders don't sit all that high. my wife is also a 5 footer, and drives a Jeep Commander in the winter (3 rows of seats) the Durango's with 3 rows are the same platform as a GC, just stretched. But yes...they are Gas hogs compared to something with a 3.6 V6
I agree Johnny, my wife drives a 2016 Durango with the 3.6 and it isn’t bad on fuel considering what it is. We have 3 rows of bucket seats that all fold flat.I am six feet tall and had to sit in the very back this past New Year’s Eve and found it very comfortable. I’m up in Ontario Canada with 4 to 5 months of winter so the all wheel drive is Nice.RJ

I agree Johnny, my wife drives a 2016 Durango with the 3.6 and it isn’t bad on fuel considering what it is. We have 3 rows of bucket seats that all fold flat.I am six feet tall and had to sit in the very back this past New Year’s Eve and found it very comfortable. I’m up in Ontario Canada with 4 to 5 months of winter so the all wheel drive is Nice.RJ
I honestly love the look of the sportier trim new Durango's. I'd of course make the irresponsible decision to get one with a hemi for the one time a year I decide to move my trailer, and don't feel like getting my truck out. lol but with those 8 speeds i think the mileage on either engine is respectable. my wifes daily is a Charger R/T with the 8HP70, and it averages damn near 30.
I bet one with a pentastar would do just fine!

I honestly love the look of the sportier trim new Durango's. I'd of course make the irresponsible decision to get one with a hemi for the one time a year I decide to move my trailer, and don't feel like getting my truck out. lol but with those 8 speeds i think the mileage on either engine is respectable. my wifes daily is a Charger R/T with the 8HP70, and it averages damn near 30.
I bet one with a pentastar would do just fine!
Im trying to talk the wife into a charger, it’s the only sedan you can fit 3 car seats in apparently. I’d up my budget for an R/T for sure!

be careful of kia/hyundia. around here in the st louis,mo area, they are easy to steal because they have no security system.

All in all you can buy a van make and end up with a lemon, again by any manufacturer. I have owned a Pontiac Montana, Chevy up lander, and Toyota Sienna. I love the Toyota but I doubt you will find one for under $10k with under 100k. There is a reason for that. The question to ask is: is there a minivan you should stay away from? My answer to the question is the Chevy uplander. It is a cheap quality vehicle that is not worth the dollar you spend on it.
Andy

All in all you can buy a van make and end up with a lemon, again by any manufacturer. I have owned a Pontiac Montana, Chevy up lander, and Toyota Sienna. I love the Toyota but I doubt you will find one for under $10k with under 100k. There is a reason for that. The question to ask is: is there a minivan you should stay away from? My answer to the question is the Chevy uplander. It is a cheap quality vehicle that is not worth the dollar you spend on it.
Andy
Thanks Andy, fortunately for me I am so anti Chevy that I would never purchase or own one.

Im trying to talk the wife into a charger, it’s the only sedan you can fit 3 car seats in apparently. I’d up my budget for an R/T for sure!
Remember, they won't be in car seats forever. I get a kick out of the HGTV shows that show the client as needing so many considerations in a house for their kids. It doesn't seem like it, but they'll be grown in no time, and then those people have a house all ready for kids.

Remember, they won't be in car seats forever. I get a kick out of the HGTV shows that show the client as needing so many considerations in a house for their kids. It doesn't seem like it, but they'll be grown in no time, and then those people have a house all ready for kids.
100%! That exact idea has kept me out of the minivan for the first two kids. With number 3 on the way, my wife has been adamant about the minivan.

Once they are out of car seats, the extra room is nice for friends/camping gear/sports equipment…axles, engines and transmissions hahaha.

100%! That exact idea has kept me out of the minivan for the first two kids. With number 3 on the way, my wife has been adamant about the minivan.

Once they are out of car seats, the extra room is nice for friends/camping gear/sports equipment…axles, engines and transmissions hahaha.
I have no problem with them. Like you say, the space can come in handy.
A friend of mine ran his handyman business out of the back of one.
My parents had one when they were older. My mom used to drive her no-longer-driving friends around.

Now your talking!lol RJ

9A3FA14A-9E30-4AB2-80B4-B962108A0114.jpeg

I had a 1996 Town and Country and loved it. I now have a 2020 Caravan and it's a piece of ****. As a matter of fact other than a SRT8 or Hellcat I just wouldn't buy another new Chrysler product. The paint jobs on the Rams are the worst I've ever seen. And don't take this lightly as I've been a Mopar guy since the 60's. Now I don't know about what a 2010 or so would be like but my advice would to look at a Honda, Toyota or a Subaru.
Why would someone disagree. I'm living it with the van. The transmission shifts erratically and it sounds like the windows are down when you drive it. Also no spare tire! Tires were junk at 30k and now it needs a battery (new 2 years ago). The list goes on.

My guess is, no SUV will fit the budget (unless it's 20 years old and had 300k on it)

I bought my wife an Ex police charger last year

2014, 70k miles, awd hemi for 14 grand
What's not to like?

I will just testify of this: Those '01 to '07 Mopars with the 3.3 or 3.8 were 300,000-mile vehicles with very little maintenance. You can buy newer, but not better. If I was to go newer, I'd buy a 2015 or newer Mopar. The 3.6 is a great engine. I see them for sale for 10k or under quite often.

No one beats Toyota engineering, and they're more domestic than anything built by Fiat. The issues with Toyotas I've dealt with have always been so minor that they don't warrant worry. The only issue is they tend to be the blandest design and high prices compared to the rest. I'm not a huge fan of Honda, they tend to over complicate then cut the budget for the components.

Everything Chrysler/fiats/stellantis are nothing by electrical gremlins based on all the issues friends and family have had with their nav-entertainment-console distraction devices which also render the cars immobile when they fail. I've seen no less than a dozen hellcats, 392s, rams, etc in the hands of close family and acquaintances that were total garbage. More time spent at the dealer waiting for parts than on the road. They're all driving tundras, audis, and Porsche now and those are going 10x longer between services - says a lot.

Of the dozen different vans I've been in over the past 5 years, the dodges always felt the cheapest, had the most rattles, and are the loudest inside. They also handle like a shopping cart and have the cheapest feeling doors and switchgear. But I will say the Chrysler dashes and control layouts are better. Too bad they fail and fall apart regularly. There's a reason the newer Chrysler products are the cheapest of the competition.

I don't lay attention to Kia. Their dealers and service departments have the same feel as a boost mobile, and the same exact pool of employees I think.

Rented a Sienna for a weekend and didn't want to give it back. If I didn't have to contend with so much ice on my road and driveway in winter (even studded tires slide), I'd buy one today and we have no kids.. It was just awesome. Vans beat suvs in the utility dept hands down.

Yes I purchased a 2012 Impala police car for 3,500.00. Had to spend about 2k on brakes tires alignment etc. Did the work myself except for the alignment. Is it perfect, NO. Bumps and burses, and still other issues but it drives great turns a circle in a minute and is quite fast. I really like it. About 150k and motor and trans are in fantastic cond. Drive anywhere. You may want to look into a used police Tahoe but older than a 14 or 15 as they have a lot of issues. These will go easy 200k plus. 300k if taken care of.

-
Back