Minnesota Winter Duster

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Mopar guys/gals: Just a few photos I snapped of my 1974 Gold Duster back before the snow melted up here in Minneapolis. I love the contrast between the white snow and the dark car (JY9 Tahitian Gold Metallic). For your enjoyment, plus a few pix of the C73 fold down rear seat. Enjoy!

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

Does it have a longer than stock rear axle. It doesn't look like the rear wheels are tucked back as much as stock which I thought was a big mistake by the factory.

Thankfully I don't have to see that long term white stuff except in pictures.

That is a really nice car. Time capsule for sure. Can it handle the slopes? LOL
There is very little weight over the rear drive wheels, so the snow traction stinks. Somehow we made it through the snow and ice back then. I'm not really sure how.

Last edited:
That would be a Ruster here in Illinoise...
Yeah, we've got a name for it up here in Minnesota. We put over 43,000 tons of rock salt on our roads, some of it mixed with sand, every year. And where does all that lovely sodium chloride go every spring? Right into our lakes, springs, ponds and waterways killing whatever it encounters in the water. We call all that salt Minnesota Car Killer, or Minnesota Disease. Keeps a lot of body shops and new car dealers in business.

Sure is a nice car you have. I like the colour combo esp with the part vinyl top too
Yeah, that would be the canopy vinyl roof. I had to buy a replacement one from Legendary, which was a long and drawn out process. I'm happy with the result, though.

Does it have a longer than stock rear axle. It doesn't look like the rear wheels are tucked back as much as stock which I thought was a big mistake by the factory.
No, that is actually the stock 7 1/4 rear axle that came from the factory. Stock driveshaft too.

Yeah, we've got a name for it up here in Minnesota. We put over 43,000 tons of rock salt on our roads, some of it mixed with sand, every year. And where does all that lovely sodium chloride go every spring? Right into our lakes, springs, ponds and waterways killing whatever it encounters in the water. We call all that salt Minnesota Car Killer, or Minnesota Disease. Keeps a lot of body shops and new car dealers in business.
We bought both trucks new in 04 05 the one we drive in the winter. What a difference in the rust from the chemicals on the road, Ever since they started spraying the roads before the snow.

Yeah, that would be the canopy vinyl roof. I had to buy a replacement one from Legendary, which was a long and drawn out process. I'm happy with the result, though.
I’m familiar with the canopy. I like it better than full. I have one on my car too.
596F5DF3-331F-4940-A783-8265A242E395.jpeg

-
Back