Mirror identification

-

Beams

Reaction score
Can anyone help me figure out if I have an original/1965 A body mirror?

Car is a 1965 Dart GT with remote mirror option. I haven’t been able to tell from Google searching if an original 65 mirror is twin post, or if there were other mirrors mixed in. The wires for the remote switch have been cut, so the driver’s side is likely not original.

There were quite a few parts from a 74 dart that were put on this car—my guess is that it’s from a 74. The passenger side is different than driver.

At the end of the day, I’m just trying to figure out what would have come on a 65 so that I can try to find a correct replacement.

Thanks in advance for the help.

DA32321A-906C-406B-9D6A-491061A94595.jpeg

DA1045F8-C566-439F-95C7-5FDF9E4EEC82.jpeg

Classic Industries has the correct mirrors.
My 66 GT had the remote drives side mirror and the optional twin post on the passenger side .

I just replaced both with manual twin post mirrors after the repaint .

I did that because only one driver and I haven’t adjusted the drivers side mirror in 37 years besides the cost it doesn’t match the passenger side .

Last edited:
Classic Industries has the correct mirrors.
My 66 GT had the remote drives side mirror and the optional twin post on the passenger side .

I just replaced both with manual twin post mirrors after the repaint .

I did that because only one driver and I haven’t adjusted the drivers side mirror in 37 years besides the cost it doesn’t match the passenger side .

So they had a different style driver and optional passenger mirror? That seems like an interesting design choice.

As far as I know, they didn't have a RH mirror option from the factory in 1965. If your car came with a remote LH, you could get a matching RH from Chrysler to add on the door however. Same goes with the manual twin post mirror(s). If you buy a remote mirror, get one like the one 66340sedan posted. Starting in '67, the control head is a different diameter and won't fit the '66 and earlier doors. The early control is removeable from the cables for easy installation, the later control is crimped onto the control cables and sometime will break if you try to remove it. The design of the mirrors is a bit different too. The '67-up version is all bolted together as a unit. The '66 and earlier setup has a floating base that is just sandwiched between the mirror head and door skin.

As far as I know, they didn't have a RH mirror option from the factory in 1965. If your car came with a remote LH, you could get a matching RH from Chrysler to add on the door however. Same goes with the manual twin post mirror(s). If you buy a remote mirror, get one like the one 66340sedan posted. Starting in '67, the control head is a different diameter and won't fit the '66 and earlier doors. The early control is removeable from the cables for easy installation, the later control is crimped onto the control cables and sometime will break if you try to remove it. The design of the mirrors is a bit different too. The '67-up version is all bolted together as a unit. The '66 and earlier setup has a floating base that is just sandwiched between the mirror head and door skin.

Thank you. That’s extremely helpful.

The twin post is the standard drivers mirror . The passenger twin post mirror was a dealer installed option .
The remote drivers mirror on my Dart GT doesn’t appear on my window sticker . I can only assume it was dealer installed and the standard twin post was moved to the passenger side .
This may explain the separate base on the pre ‘67 cars as just by having separate base’s the remote mirror could be installed on A , B and C bodies up through the ‘66 model year .

Did I mention I ordered the car new in October ‘65 and took deliver December 23rd 1965 with the mirrors installed.

Last edited:
Careful, folks—whether you're giving advice or receiving it, wrong answers are easy on this subject.

Yes, the mirrors shown by the OP are not Chrysler items; they're aftermarket. Yes, the 2-post mirror was the most common official Chrysler item on vehicles not equipped with remote-control mirrors. But no, it was not the only official Chrysler non-remote mirror; there were at least two other types, with larger mirror heads and just one post, for taxi/fleet/whoever-else-wanted-it service.

You have to have a sharp eye if you're looking for a 1965 remote-control driver side mirror. They are similar but not the same as the '64 or '66-up items. The '66-up mirror body's rim walls run perpendicular to the plane formed by the mouth of the housing. The '64 mirror's body rim walls also run perpendicular like this, but there's a ridge around the outer perimeter of the housing. The '65 mirror's rim walls are angled inward, rather than running perpendicular.

The '64-'66 mirror controller has a different knob and retainer nut than the '67-up.

The "remote matching" manual-adjust passenger-side mirror available starting in '66 looks similar to the '66-up remote mirror, except the outboard rim wall is extended further rearward than the inboard rim wall.

Remote mirror on the left and twin-post or other non-matching mirror on the right was fairly common.

There's also two versions of the passenger side "remote" mirror......the factory installed one, and the dealer installed one. The difference is the way the mirror is attached to the door. The factory installed mirror attaches with one external screw, and one stud with an internal nut. Some of the dealer installed kits used a mirror with two external screws, so, you didn't have to take the door panel off to install it.

-
Back