Missed the Bid

-

matthon

Reaction score
I hate it when you try to buy a real pos off ebag and someone else throws a bid in for another 50 cents.
I placed a bid on a stupid junk pencil for a decent amount, based on what it was, only because it was from the dealership where my car was sold out of, that no longer exists, and someone out bid me dammit!

I wasn't going to be around at the time it ended, so I just found out and I've been ranting like Yosemite Sam- friggin fraken braken &#$@*&!

Attachments

• 3975.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 398
  • 3976.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 403
You know that Ebay only goes higher then your bid in increments depending on where the bid is at that time ie: .50 up to $10.00 , $1.00 to $25.00 , $5.00 and on and on . The guy or gal could have bid $50.00 more then you and you have no way of knowing unless you put in a bigger bid . The only way you will know you just missed it is if the increment is smaller then the next step .

Steve

I learned early on, if you find something on ebay and you really want it, get a number in your head of what you want to spend, then go a little higher and place that as your bid. If you don't get it, then you feel ok about it, if you do, then everything is cool.

I found a cool set of 65 license plates for my Valiant a few years back and I forgot to bid and the auction ended. I was pissed cause the plate number was ***-273 (I forget the letters but the number was cool) and I really wanted them. I will NEVER find a MN set with those numbers again, the buyers ID at the time was not private so I sent him a message about wanting to buy them or trade another set of nicer 65 MN plates for them. He said "no thanks" he just collected them and had no idea of how cool it would have been to have them for a car.

After that, I bid early to win.

The thing that sucks is the winning bidder of the pen was probably a collector of Mopar stuff and didn't know the importance of it to you. And now that ebay keeps the bidders ID private, you have no idea who won it so you could strike another deal with the new buyer.

Keep looking, you will find another....someday.

I don't like giving people the chance to outbid me in a bidding war.
So I wait til the last minute to bid and sometimes I use www.auctionsniper.com

It is dumb the way ebay does their auctioning. I like the way gunbroker does it better.
Their auctions end 15 minutes after the last bid is placed after the timeout period of course.

I agree with sniper software. If it's not a buy it now auction, I use EZsniper.com Put in the max that I would pay for something, and then just let it do it's work. Most of the time I win the auction and usually for less than my maximum amount. It costs just pennies a snipe and is worth it!!

Keep that sellers I.D. or save the auction, after the person who won the pen leaves the seller feedback you'll know who the winner was, then you can contact them...

I'm an ole' school sniper, I don't need EZ sniper...

Oct-26-10 20:00:50 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Oct-19-10 20:00:51 PDT

tips for winning Ebay auction:

bid in the last 10 seconds of the auction.

secondly - NEVER bid early in the auction. There is no point, other than driving the price up. I always get annoyed at the idiots that have a bidding war 3 days before the auction ends - makes no sense to me. Watch the item and bid in the last 10 seconds. You will win whatever you are bidding on. Although I have used it in the past, Auction Sniper is really not all that common, and if you bid at the last second, 90% of the time, you'll win.

Hey Keith, send the seller an email and ask him to fwd it to the winner, I have done that before. The winner may get in touch with you, its always worth a shot. If I miss out cuz of the auctions ending at stupid times I always email the guy and ask if the deal falls thru to contact me.

All good info, and I do follow these 99% of the time. In this case I just didn't think anyone would want an old rusted crappy pencil- my mistake, that's why I'm so pissed, my own stupidity!
I guess there is a population that collects old pencils.

Never used any of those bid assistants.

Anyone have any Netzley items?

I guess there is a population that collects old pencils.?

I think the same ones collect jack assemblies for ram 4x4 pickups. Been trying to get one for my truck and have bid on a couple. No luck so far, all go for crazy prices. Hard to believe there are that many people out there needing a jack.

tips for winning Ebay auction:

bid in the last 10 seconds of the auction.

secondly - NEVER bid early in the auction. There is no point, other than driving the price up. I always get annoyed at the idiots that have a bidding war 3 days before the auction ends - makes no sense to me. Watch the item and bid in the last 10 seconds. You will win whatever you are bidding on. Although I have used it in the past, Auction Sniper is really not all that common, and if you bid at the last second, 90% of the time, you'll win.

I don't agree with not bidding early. If the item doesn't have bids there is a chance the seller will end the auction early cause there are not any bids. I have emailed sellers before asking if they have a "buy it now" price in mind, several sellers ended it early to sell to me. :-D

Also, if the item is listed wrong cause they don't know what they are selling, you can place an early bid and the seller can't edit the auction, then you can get a deal. Example: "Dodge tail light lens" I know it is for a 70 Dart but the seller doesn't, so I bid the opening bid of $9.99 and win cause he didn't list it right and it didn't generate any interest. Should I feel bad? Maybe...but if I can get a deal on something I need cause someone didn't do their homework, well than cool! :-D

If you live on the East coast lots of time you end up past midnight to get to end of bidding. If you really want it put your highest bid or snipers will get you. You can't stay ahead of sniper programs or stay up till midnight for end of bidding. Watch out you don't cross into stupid money area to get it.

That does hurt. I spend a lot of time surfing EBay for all my collecting needs. I agree figure out what's it worth to you then place your bid. I usually don't wait until the auction ends because usually it's days away. If I win great if not I'll keep surfing for the next treasure. EBay is so amazing to me that someone is trying to seel that one item I've been looking for.
GregH

I won a item for $400. That was the highest bid I was going to pay for the item. Ebay atomatically bid for me the whole time. It got down to about 4 seconds and someone bid exactly $400 but I still won because I placed the highest bid before hand. It gets really close sometimes.... imagine how this guy felt. lol

Always go couple cents higher that your highest bid because a couple cents will make a difference in the final seconds.

I don't agree with not bidding early. If the item doesn't have bids there is a chance the seller will end the auction early cause there are not any bids. I have emailed sellers before asking if they have a "buy it now" price in mind, several sellers ended it early to sell to me. :-D

Also, if the item is listed wrong cause they don't know what they are selling, you can place an early bid and the seller can't edit the auction, then you can get a deal. Example: "Dodge tail light lens" I know it is for a 70 Dart but the seller doesn't, so I bid the opening bid of $9.99 and win cause he didn't list it right and it didn't generate any interest. Should I feel bad? Maybe...but if I can get a deal on something I need cause someone didn't do their homework, well than cool! :-D

X2..... If I see a bad listing I get the bidding going to prevent the seller from editing... Case in point>>>

Tack
elderbrock
etc...

Also, don't be affraid to make an offer when a seller has the option on his auction, I just picked up 2-'66 valiant tail lights for $25.00 shipped... I also flip through completed items that havent sold and made offers and bought the item...

-
Back