Missing Oil Dipstick and Associated Parts

-

Gibber

Reaction score
Wow, one I haven't seen before. On our 71 Demon 340, there is no sign of an oil dipstick, or the tube assembly, or for that matter any sign of where that would even be installed. The engine was rebuilt 2 years ago, and it runs great. It has been driven sparingly since the restoration phase, and still working some bugs out. Thought I would check the oil (it was changed about 6 months ago, garage never mentioned the lack of a dipstick) and not a sign of how to check it! The oil pan shows blue beneath the orange paint. Not sure if the pan was replaced with no thought of reinstalling the dipstick parts...very strange....pics would be appreciated, and I might be looking for a correct oil pan with hardware I'm thinking!

Thanks,

Mark

The dip stick tube is pressed into the right front of the block....not into the pan. If it's a stock car pan, just about any matched pair of tube and stick from a car will work. If it's an aftermarket or modified pan, you'll need to figure out the capacity but the stock tube and stick should still work. I would install the correct amount of oil and check the stick for accuracy.

Thanks for the info, it seems strange that if the tube is pressed into the block, and its missing, that there is no oil leaking out...I'll check again for any signs of a place to press that tube in...

Mark

Maybe the hole has a plug in it or the old tube is broken off and pinched shut. I've gotten short blocks from machine shops that had a capplug in the hole and painted over so you almost couldn't tell it was there.

-
Back