missing on number 2 3 5

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
swapped a intake on my 318 and its now missing on 2 3 5. the carb is a reman edel perf 600 that sat a while. took it apart it looks clean. barly idles and wont take gas. checked for vacuum leaks crossed wires replaced coil could it be the carb?

This may sound silly, But we have dirt dobbers "wasp looking bugs"here in Arkansas that will build a nest in the runners, Did you make sure the intake was clear in all 8 runners before your instal ? They may not be getting gas.

I have put gas in a spray bottle like a windex bottle and fed gas manually before to see if the carb is squirting on both sides. But remember this is gas and a back fire is possible
Can you see gas flowing out both side's of the carb ? Check and make sure you have not gas fowled your plugs in 2,3,and 5 .
I am just a shad tree mecanic, I would also check your pick up's in your distributor cap for white chalky build up.

I agree with MeMike if she is to rich it will foul plugs,had that happen with a thermolquad went to a holley I rebuilt it and all was good.

pulled the plugs they were very black cleaned installed still missing. the intake was clean no build up or nest i hope its installed correctly i think it would have to be. maybe get and adapter and put the 2bbl back on to rule out the ignition and intake if that works it would have to be the carb right?

how old are the spark plug wires? maybe they got internaly damaged while you were working on the engine.

took out plugs all are firing against the block looks kinds white spark but its bright outside here. so ive got fire when its running ive sprayed penetraring oil around intake no change does it mean my carb may need rebuilding again. thanks

Didn't know you had two threads going on the same problem anyhow, Since it was running OK BEFORE you took it apart and now it's missing and you said you checked the plug wire routing at least 10 times I think you have a vacuum leak, carb base or intake gaskets. My .02

swap a firing plug with a non firing plug.

It my just be a plug(s) that are to bad to fire under compression.

Swapping a good carb is a good test as well..............

Could have a vacuum leak on the bottom part of the intake in the lifter valley area, where the penetrating oil won't get sucked in. Just a thought.

Could have a vacuum leak on the bottom part of the intake in the lifter valley area, where the penetrating oil won't get sucked in. Just a thought.

that is a vary good thought!!!

Were the plugs oily or just wet with fuel..........had a strong gas smell? not no.........could be sucking oil into the intake port

Is this a single plane or dual?

not oily sooty black. no strong smell of gas it is a single plane intake gonna get and adapter to put the 2bbl on tommorow see if thats it. ive swaped many a intake this is a first for me. is there a way to find out if the intake is leaking in on the bottom side?

yeah started a new thread after i put the new coil on that fixed the no spark prob now this wasnt sure if the other thread was what i needed.

yeah started a new thread after i put the new coil on that fixed the no spark prob now this wasnt sure if the other thread was what i needed.

Lost here: you said in your very last post:

replaced the coil w/ a new one this morning, and still no change. any other ideas? im totally lost. could it be the carb is bad i have a miss on 3 cylinders numbers 2 3 5. barely idles and wont rev up to even try and clear out.

SO: did the new coil change ANYTHING in the way it ran or not??? I'm kind of lost. Has your problem all along on both threads the fact that number's
2 3 & 5 are not firing/missing?

Lost here: you said in your very last post:

replaced the coil w/ a new one this morning, and still no change. any other ideas? im totally lost. could it be the carb is bad i have a miss on 3 cylinders numbers 2 3 5. barely idles and wont rev up to even try and clear out.

SO: did the new coil change ANYTHING in the way it ran or not??? I'm kind of lost. Has your problem all along on both threads the fact that number's
2 3 & 5 are not firing/missing?

before i changed the coil i had no fire to multiple cylinders after replacing the coil it seems to try harder to run than before and is only missing on 2 3 5 so i figured it ruled out the coil so started a new thread thinking maybe it was something else. diddnt realize how confusing i made things wrong move on my part

before i changed the coil i had no fire to multiple cylinders after replacing the coil it seems to try harder to run than before and is only missing on 2 3 5 so i figured it ruled out the coil so started a new thread thinking maybe it was something else. diddnt realize how confusing i made things wrong move on my part

No problem! Am I hearing it's been these same cylinders all along or were different cylinders not firing before the coil change?

I think the carb change might help the diagnosis. interesting to hear the results. I still think a vacuum leak.
It was asked before if you have a dual plane or a single plane manifold. If a carb was only working on one side and it was a dual plane and all 4 cylinders were misfiring that were fed by 1/2 I could understand a carb problem but with it only missing on three cylinders it's confusing as I'm sure you are @ your wits end here.

No problem! Am I hearing it's been these same cylinders all along or were different cylinders not firing before the coil change?

I think the carb change might help the diagnosis. interesting to hear the results. I still think a vacuum leak.
It was asked before if you have a dual plane or a single plane manifold. If a carb was only working on one side and it was a dual plane and all 4 cylinders were misfiring that were fed by 1/2 I could understand a carb problem but with it only missing on three cylinders it's confusing as I'm sure you are @ your wits end here.

before the coil i had multiple wires that were getting no spark at all. the strange thing is its mmissing on the 2 center cylinders on the pass side and the 2nd from front on drivers sidebut i have spark to the plugs. gonna try and put the 2bbl back on with and adapter in the am i had to just walk away this eve as i am def at my wits end. def dont want to take this thing apart again. also i used the gaskets for the 2bbl intake

Dual plane intake feeds 2, 3, 5, and 8 from one side and
1, 4, 6 and 7 on the other side

Sound like your carb may not be metering on side feeding the top row of cylinders above.

Check the resistance in the wires(spark plug wires), compare good one's to bad........If there is a big difference between good to bad, YOU have found your PROBLEM!!!

Wires can go bad from just twisting them............... worth checking it out!!!

Check the resistance in the wires(spark plug wires), compare good one's to bad........If there is a big difference between good to bad, YOU have found your PROBLEM!!!

Wires can go bad from just twisting them............... worth checking it out!!!

Definately!

ok got a adapter put old carb back on and it will fire but imediatly dies so put the ede 600 back on same thing quick fire then die pulled num 1 plug out to check order again and the plug was wet with fuel and very black dont want to replace plugs and spend the extra money if its not that. if the plugs are fould wopuld it not run at all? how could i have fould all 8 before getting it started the first time. to much pumping? really pullimg my hair out

-
Back