Mission Impossible 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you missed the point of that, lol, even a lowly g3 powered 4x4 truck would spank that turb engine build, lol
Ahhhh, that's better. You explained it for me. I didn't get it at first. I'm better now.....

I had fun racing this one, and beating on it on the street for several years.( stock stroke 318)
went 11.60’s at 3400 in an all steel bench seat 71 Duster I had. Ugly painted steel bumpers, like that when I got it as pretty much a roller
Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

8B0F879F-D07F-4E1D-8C4F-05B80497C092.jpeg

A lot of people like making something useful for themselve out of what some call trash, junk, crap.

I suppose if you are dirt poor thats an option. I say if you are so poor that you have to do a dirt floor rebuild you need to budget better, make more money or do something else.

Junk is JUNK at any price.

How much fun would it be though with Tony's 300 hp turd in it when you would be running 2 seconds slower? LOL

probably more than 2 seconds slower, more like 3 or 3.5 seconds.
That would make it an alarm clock car, wake me up at the finish line:lol:

Just my opinion but since Tony likes to stay old school in a lot of what he does, which is fine, he maybe should have gotten David Vizard and Andy involved in a true pump premium w2 headed build that would still fit under a stock flat hood.....stroking it would be the obvious way to go but not would help keep costs down somewhat and stay in reference to his channel's theme. There are enough W2 parts out there yet to easily come up with the parts and it would ultimately make more than decent power and actually be fun and interesting albeit old school technology there hasn't really been a good W2 build done by anyone in a while. Then put that engine in his light weight dart with a flat hood on it and take it to the track and make some content ripping around on the street with it.......that would garner more attention.

I suppose if you are dirt poor thats an option. I say if you are so poor that you have to do a dirt floor rebuild you need to budget better, make more money or do something else.

Junk is JUNK at any price.
Seems like you are one of the $$ guys from the left coast? If I recall.

There are plenty of Mopar guys with plenty of $$ that chose to spend time and $$ on engines like slants, polys, etc. It is not lack of $ as their motivation.

I still love taking a woreout Mopar turd car and making it into something that "I" am proud of. Lets just say it is not a show car, or racer, just what made me happy. Maybe just a cruiser. Maybe even has an extra set of doors! Such car will not appeal to everyone, but I care less.

Maybe ole Tony has lots of poor advice, centered on his UT career, dunno, don't care. Probably the guy or even the younger guy will do better studying willrun318 footage.

:thumbsup::popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Seems like you are one of the $$ guys from the left coast? If I recall.

There are plenty of Mopar guys with plenty of $$ that chose to spend time and $$ on engines like slants, polys, etc. It is not lack of $ as their motivation.

I still love taking a woreout Mopar turd car and making it into something that "I" am proud of. Lets just say it is not a show car, or racer, just what made me happy. Maybe just a cruiser. Maybe even has an extra set of doors! Such car will not appeal to everyone, but I care less.

Maybe ole Tony has lots of poor advice, centered on his UT career, dunno, don't care. Probably the guy or even the younger guy will do better studying willrun318 footage.

:thumbsup::popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn:

LOL. I don’t have $$$$. I’ve done more with less. It’s not always about how much money you have, but how you use it.

Honestly I'm completely confused by why David Vizard would want to get involved with something like that. I do know that the guy that was producing his video channel passed away, and I think that David lost the password to his own YouTube account. So I think he's kind of trying to build up a following again on YouTube. That might be his motivation. Frankly any association with UTG only diminishes his otherwise solid reputation in my opinion.

I had fun racing this one, and beating on it on the street for several years.( stock stroke 318)
went 11.60’s at 3400 in an all steel bench seat 71 Duster I had. Ugly painted steel bumpers, like that when I got it as pretty much a roller
Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

View attachment 1716008065
Very cool car, but the engine build you referenced is about as far from "stock" as it gets.

I'm sure your "stock stroke 318" was far from a "stock 318".

Very cool car, but the engine build you referenced is about as far from "stock" as it gets.

I'm sure your "stock stroke 318" was far from a "stock 318".

it was that very motor. But with a good bit smaller cam than the 248/248 it went to the engine masters with

while I think the exercise has merit I just know that there's gonna be a whole bunch of behind the scenes chicanery-- hey presto! we found these super rare high compression stock pistons and this more aggressive cam from an agricultural application, neat huh?

the fact of the matter remains that once you get into heavy machine work the ability for the home builder to accomplish something quickly diverges from "inexpensive backyard build".

there's a reason folks just plunk down for a stroker kit or a blueprint piece. time, money, and convenience. they don't want to spend the time figuring out the math, selecting the parts, waiting on the machine shop, and running around town. bang up the Visa card and gimme that 400hp to be delivered Saturday.

that being said, I'd love to see a 302 or a 355 build that uses iron heads and turns 8K

Here is Andy Wood's version from Unity MotorSports Garage .... a good channel

I'm not an UTG fanboy but do watch some of his stuff now and then, I think this is an interesting build, I just don't see why the same 3-5 guys have to go on every UTG thread and spew their hate/dislike for him and kill every thread, you don't like him fair enough but don't you have better things to with your life? Go start a better youtube channel or something if it bothers you that much.

B890DEB8-4497-49DF-A3A4-6604F0F63F18.jpeg

I posted this last week in someone else’s valiant thread, forget actually which one. Anyway runs mid- high 11’s in NHRA Q stock class with 318 2 barrel.

So don’t say you can’t make that stock part 318 fly cause you would be wrong, but I don’t believe tony will get there. Nothing personal against him though.

View attachment 1716008161
I posted this last week in someone else’s valiant thread, forget actually which one. Anyway runs mid- high 11’s in NHRA Q stock class with 318 2 barrel.

So don’t say you can’t make that stock part 318 fly cause you would be wrong, but I don’t believe tony will get there. Nothing personal against him though.
This your car ??

A public display of turd buffing. What a waste of time. I can’t believe anyone is the slightest bit interested in building garbage like that.

When I was young, we ALL dreamed about the day when we could buy nice ****, massage it a bit and then use it. That day is here for the most part. And these guys want to go back to dumpster diving and putting lipstick on pigs like it’s a show of engine building prowess.

If you can’t afford a ******* decent intake and carb go do something else. Like golf.

Unreal. Just mind boggling. We are in retrograde.
Ok Richard cranium.

View attachment 1716008161

I'm guessing you may have an idea what REALLY GOES INTO a competitive stock eliminator car because most don't and it's big big big money with all the testing and R/D trying different header styles and designs, most could probably keep a converter company afloat just with how many they own and send back for another readjustment, lets not forget all the NOT CHEAP tech and tricks that go into making a car like this run 11's........the guys that have the know how to make or modify and make still pass tech don't come cheap. Trying to compare this car and it's accomplishments and what Tony and David and Andy are doing couldn't be more night and day difference.

Yeah, any "stock" class NHRA car is a super scienced out race piece. They're no joke. And to be honest have zero relevance in this discussion.

This your car ??
It is not.
I wish it was.
Guy is from California, I saw it at firebird raceway park in Arizona in the 90’s. It was hopping around off the ground as it idled. Last time I saw it was in the early 2000’s.

Here's a stock 318 2bbl with headers dyno 189 hp at 4000 rpm and 282 hp at 5000 rpm with 4bbl and xe262h cam, their gonna have a hard time getting 318 hp.

318 Long Block Bolt Ons - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine
Even more so what really is the point? Do they think that any of their viewers are gonna apply much if any of what they do on that build to Tony's home built garage guys that he says he tries to cater to?

Even more so what really is the point? Do they think that any of their viewers are gonna apply much if any of what they do on that build to Tony's home built garage guys that he says he tries to cater to?
It's not meant to be a recipe for others to follow, just a experiment might get some useful info maybe not, maybe entertainment, nothing wrong with building and dyno testing ****.
Not like it's your time or money you don't even have to watch if you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back