Mission Impossible 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, any "stock" class NHRA car is a super scienced out race piece. They're no joke. And to be honest have zero relevance in this discussion.
Just pointing out that stock parts(heads, intake and exhaust manifolds) with the exception of cam and converter can make power, so I disagree with your part of this conversation, all though science out>uncle tony point may have merit.

Last edited:
The most ridiculous aspect to this situation, to anyone with common sense, (just dumped 90% of the UTG viewers) is that if you are truly trying to hot rod on a budget, you can go to most any salvage yard, buy a running 5.9 magnum for 300-400 dollars, with a 90 day warranty, slap a china air gap intake on it, some used Holley carb and a set of ground hugging shitstyle headers, and make 300hp without even a cam swap. Its caveman easy, and cheap.

View attachment 1716008161
I posted this last week in someone else’s valiant thread, forget actually which one. Anyway runs mid- high 11’s in NHRA Q stock class with 318 2 barrel.

So don’t say you can’t make that stock part 318 fly cause you would be wrong, but I don’t believe tony will get there. Nothing personal against him though.
That car is all cam ( 336/348 duration .462/.473 lift 108 cl) converter and rear gearing (6.66) along with all the stock racing magic engine prep.

A public display of turd buffing. What a waste of time. I can’t believe anyone is the slightest bit interested in building garbage like that.

When I was young, we ALL dreamed about the day when we could buy nice ****, massage it a bit and then use it. That day is here for the most part. And these guys want to go back to dumpster diving and putting lipstick on pigs like it’s a show of engine building prowess.

If you can’t afford a ******* decent intake and carb go do something else. Like golf.

Unreal. Just mind boggling. We are in retrograde.
any asshole can spend cash. It takes skill to build with factory stuff.Real hot rodders take pride in what they build not what they buy.

This will be interesting, 1 hp per cube on a stock 318. Looks as though David Vizard will be involved.

Just look at the clown. Holding a tee shirt about going fast. Theres not a damn thing this idiot has ever built that's even remotely fast. Look in the background, it's a bunch of junk, unsafe, garbage, that runs like **** if it even makes a pass without breaking. And why does this clown even need 300 hp when he has a permanently revoked license and cant even drive legally? It's to get "clicks" from his "fanboys" AKA slobbering idiots.

you guys who dont like this would hate the street stock dirt track stuff we used to build.

I would just re-iterate "WHY?" He's done this with that 318 that went to Nicks and failed. He's currently doing this with B.R. I don't get it. J.Rob

I have to agree with this. It amazes me how much hate a 318 build can garner by the forum gate keepers.
yeah the whole car scene kind of blows these days.Car shows and clubs are ful of limp dicks bragging about what they spent.
This was one of the reasons I got fed up and built off road jeeps for a while. Those guys appreciate and respect builders more than buyers.

yeah the whole car scene kind of blows these days.Car shows and clubs are ful of limp dicks bragging about what they spent.
This was one of the reasons I got fed up and built off road jeeps for a while. Those guys appreciate and respect builders more than buyers.
In many ways for me hotrodding is like a metaphor for life. You take what ever you have and make the most of it and ultimately its a reflection of who you are your capabilities. As you improve your stuff you evolve with it in the hobby and you learn as you go and sometimes you learn the right things and sometimes not. Magazines are full of engines that read like a laundry list of the latest parts to buy to make it easier for the lazy types to go faster.

Some people like a challenge and the personal growth that comes with it.

In many ways for me hotrodding is like a metaphor for life. You take what ever you have and make the most of it and ultimately its a reflection of who you are your capabilities. As you improve your stuff you evolve with it in the hobby and you learn as you go and sometimes you learn the right things and sometimes not. Magazines are full of engines that read like a laundry list of the latest parts to buy to make it easier for the lazy types to go faster.

Some people like a challenge and the personal growth that comes with it.
Exactly the same here. This is the same reason I remodel,build guns,build computers etc. Spending cash is easy honing skills is hard.

Exactly the same here. This is the same reason I remodel,build guns,build computers etc. Spending cash is easy honing skills is hard.
This ultimately sums it up. Cash can come and go but the skills you learn stay with you for life.

The most ridiculous aspect to this situation, to anyone with common sense, (just dumped 90% of the UTG viewers) is that if you are truly trying to hot rod on a budget, you can go to most any salvage yard, buy a running 5.9 magnum for 300-400 dollars, with a 90 day warranty, slap a china air gap intake on it, some used Holley carb and a set of ground hugging shitstyle headers, and make 300hp without even a cam swap. Its caveman easy, and cheap.
this. so much this.

as soon as machine work enters the chat you can throw away any idea of "budget build" or "back yard hot rod". anything more than maybe skimming a set of heads any trip to the machinist is dollars.

hit a swap meet, buy a used intake and carb for $150 throw down for a summit cheapy cam kit and you'd be in high cotton on a beer budget.

it's the whole: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This ultimately sums it up. Cash can come and go but the skills you learn stay with you for life.
Nowadays it's too easy to build power especially when you start talking power adders turbo nos etc... I like se seeing what stockish parts can do.

this. so much this.

as soon as machine work enters the chat you can throw away any idea of "budget build" or "back yard hot rod". anything more than maybe skimming a set of heads any trip to the machinist is dollars.

hit a swap meet, buy a used intake and carb for $150 throw down for a summit cheapy cam kit and you'd be in high cotton on a beer budget.

I always advise the best bang for the buck is a magnum 360 with a chinese intake.
But think of the broke 15 year old kid we all once were. A die grinder or a dremel was the key to the horsepower kingdom.
Remember the excitement of scoring a cheap sure grip or 4 barrel intake at the scrap yard.

This hobby needs to be fun and accessible or it will die.

The reality is most on this forum wouldn't be able the create the efficiencies necessary to accomplish it as it takes a lot of knowledge and hard work.

That line there for me represents mediocrity at its best. What happens when there's no more low hanging fruit to pick? A better way of putting it is if its hard why bother doing it there's far more easier ways.....

Just pointing out that stock parts(heads, intake and exhaust manifolds) with the exception of cam and converter can make power, so I disagree with your part of this conversation, all though science out>uncle tony point may have merit.
They are far far far from stock like you think they are, lol

I always advise the best bang for the buck is a magnum 360 with a chinese intake.
But think of the broke 15 year old kid we all once were. A die grinder or a dremel was the key to the horsepower kingdom.
Remember the excitement of scoring a cheap sure grip or 4 barrel intake at the scrap yard.

This hobby needs to be fun and accessible or it will die.
when you're a broke 15yr old the difference between a few hundred dollars (magnum v intake/carb & cam) is astronomical. I remember those days... trolling the yards looking for 8.75's and intakes and heads and carbs. alas, no more. or just what I'm looking for now has shifted because that stuff doesn't exist in the yards anymore....

agree wholeheartedly. once the accessibility is gone the interest is not far to follow.

any asshole can spend cash. It takes skill to build with factory stuff.Real hot rodders take pride in what they build not what they buy.
Thanks for showing how much you know.....IF and it is a big IF......any stock eliminator racer told you how much they spend on their "stock" parts it would make your eyes blow completely out the back of your skull.......LOL.......you guys, lol

I have to agree with this. It amazes me how much hate a 318 build can garner by the forum gate keepers.
Why are you amazed? What kind of cheeto eating drooler whom sits in their underwear watching Tony would get excited about this total waste of time? By the way I LOVE Cheetos, lol

Yeah JEEPS, lol, let's not get started on those guys, LOL

Not me, nor many people that I know.
I am very good at some things. The fact I am allows me to have someone who is good at building an engine, build it for me.
Have never in my life had a single part used in a build( if starting from scratch) that I didn’t select personally. In other words, I have paid to have a pro screw together the parts i have hand selected with thought, experience, and smarts.
If that makes somebody an asshole, I guess I am.
After 50+ years now of hotrodding, I am extremely comfy in my own skin. Had cool stuff , and only driven over 1 motor going down the track. And I have made a couple of passes
You sound like the reason I rarely attend car shows. The inevitable…” I had a 69 Dart like yours that came factory with a 440 6 pack”…. They said they had this , said they done that…but have rarely done either

How fortunate you are to be given all the gun and computer parts for free so you can build these masterpieces.....I'm jealous

The reality is most on this forum wouldn't be able the create the efficiencies necessary to accomplish it as it takes a lot of knowledge and hard work.

That line there for me represents mediocrity at its best. What happens when there's no more low hanging fruit to pick? A better way of putting it is if its hard why bother doing it there's far more easier ways.....
I understand your point and it's taken to heart. I guess I meant it more along the lines of why not take that and apply it where it will reap much better rewards.

back to the origins, though, I find it to be an interesting experiment and I hope that maybe somebody gleans a bit of knowledge from it. even if it's on what not to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back