mixing years

-
Ya, know Rainy you most be reading my mind. I've been going back and forth on my Barracuda. I usually keep things factory correct,but this will be the last car I build. I like certain things about 67,68,and 69 Cuda's,so I'm thinking about incorporating them all into my build. It's my car. Right!

RIGHT!!

Since my 67 Barracuda started life as a Turquoise 273 2bbl, I decided that I'd build it my way. Gone was the turquoise, replace by PP1 red. I used 68 grilles because I prefer them to the 67 egg crate grilles. The high back buckets are from a 70 Duster, recovered to match the originals. The metric 67 speedometer came from Mexico.

Unless you're working on a rare/valuable numbers matching car, very little that you modify will hurt its value.

I almost put a 75 front clip on my 72 dart, because it's what I had.I have the buckets out of a 66 gt that I plan on using in my 69 coronet, unless I find a bench for a 2 door b body. These are not special cars, other than being cool old mopars, if it was a 69 gts, or 69 superbee, I'd try to go origional.

I will be using a 68 upper valance and associated plymouth emblem on my 67 notchback, i like it better than the seperate plymouth letters. I will also be using 68 up window cranks, 68 up armrest pads, a 69 flip fuel cap. I think these look much better than the 67 pieces. Also using the 69 up reverse indicator light in the dash, and a hurst shifter,, and assembling the car out of all different years of parts, so really who cares as long as it looks good and works.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings. While I really like to keep my cars loaded with year specific parts, I really like certain year cars, to the point that I would try to emulate my favorite year if it was easily possible. For example, if I had a 1973 Dart Sport, I would graft on a 72 Demon tail panel and graphics. The Demon has so much more curb appeal than a Dart Sport (sorry Dart lovers!). I love the fact that so many other people hate Demons because of the "devil worship" thing. Isn't the fact that we're different from Chevys and Fords the same thing as wanting to be different from the "herd" in the first place?

On the other hand, expect to get hit on the price when you do this and later sell it (unless you are trying to sell me a 1973 Demon!).
IMG_1183.JPG

BTW, does anyone have a 1973 Dodge Demon 340 4 speed for sale???

I don't really care what other people do to their cars, but I do not like the overuse of some colors, particularly HIP colors, namely Lime Green! That is my least favorite color, and it is being seriously overused lately!! Same with Plum Crazy, if it's a correct year application so be it, but Lime Green just doesn't do it for me!!!

We plan on using a 73 dart sport twin scoop on the 69 cuda. I think that will look good. Not much you can do with the beak hood as used on this year and the 73-76 dart, i think the 69 440 cuda fake scoops look a bit hokey.

Most of the time doesn't look right and makes the car look ghetto.

Actually saw this scoop on a nice 69 cuda notch and it looked pretty good. I cant find that exact pic on the net anymore, but heres some others, athough i'm not a fan of the rallye stripe. I think it looks good.

1969-plymouth-barracuda-notchback-440-727-2.jpg

downloadfile.png

downloadfile-2.jpg

downloadfile-3.jpg

downloadfile-4.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me to mix and match. I build the vision I have which evolves all the way to completion, if there is such a thing. With A body mopars the only ones who notice anything are other mopar guys/gals. The rank and file have no idea what they are looking at.
Want to build my car, pay my bills! :)

We plan on using a 73 dart sport twin scoop on the 69 cuda. I think that will look good. Not much you can do with the beak hood as used on this year and the 73-76 dart, i think the 69 440 cuda fake scoops look a bit hokey.
you ain`t the only one. I didn`t like the fake scoops when they first came out, and still don`t.

Doesn't bother me to mix and match. I build the vision I have which evolves all the way to completion, if there is such a thing. With A body mopars the only ones who notice anything are other mopar guys/gals. The rank and file have no idea what they are looking at.
well said.

My 65 formula S is not a high dollar car, but my dream is to build it as close to the original as I am able. Doesn't mean I knock other people's cars. I had decided to change the color of mine from gold to ivory, even purchased the paint, but the more I work on the car the more I think it will go back to the original gold color. I have new upholstery, headliner and carpet. I'm hoping when I am finished it will just appear to be a new 65 Formula S.
I don't criticize what other people do to their cars

My cuda evolved too. There was so much missing originally i was going to make it as a short track oval track race car for the street, even thought about petty blue. Basically a chrysler kit car since those were A body based. Then little by little i was able to find missing parts. Yes the short track race car concept is still there, but has gone underground. I decided to still do a lot of that chassis, brakes, and suspension, trickery but minus a roll cage, and restore the body and interior. The color then changed to plymouth 1967 yellow, with black interior. So it evolved from an in your face short track race car on the street to a sleeper race car that looks restored. Heck, at even one point i was concidering reinforcing the centers of the rocker panel areas for nascar style single point jacking. slip the jack under the rocker and lift that whole side.

Last edited:
you ain`t the only one. I didn`t like the fake scoops when they first came out, and still don`t.
Yep, and at least the demon/dart sport twin scoop can easily be made functional, plus a set of 340-S engine callouts on its sides would look pretty cool.

Last edited:
Depends on what it is. If you putting earlier parts on the 73,4's I don't think that's a bad thing. When I see a 68 charger mixed with a 70 I cringe.

My 65 formula S is not a high dollar car, but my dream is to build it as close to the original as I am able. Doesn't mean I knock other people's cars. I had decided to change the color of mine from gold to ivory, even purchased the paint, but the more I work on the car the more I think it will go back to the original gold color. I have new upholstery, headliner and carpet. I'm hoping when I am finished it will just appear to be a new 65 Formula S.
I don't criticize what other people do to their cars

Yep my original paint color was 1967 medium blue poly, with a white and blue interior, or what was left of it. Slant sux/3 on the tree, radio delete, bench seat combo. Complete with missing bench seat , missing rear seat, and missing headliner bows, with 13x4" pizza cutter rims, and a 7&1/4 peggy pegleg rear. Fender I.D. tag was missing and it wasnt a particularly valuable optioned car anyways. I think it was also a vinyl floor car, however all of that was missing out of it along with the seatbelts.

I think it was originally a traveling salesman special. It came with only 3 options. Vspeed wiper, trip odometer, and vacuum gage. Is becoming a 360 V8/4 speed, bucket seat, 8&3/4 combo. With reinforced spool mount K , and 'Doba big brakes front and rear.

2 pix. As purchased, and currently. Dont look like much yet, but entire floor is replaced, all the chassis points are reinforced to prevent flex, subframe connectors installed, and now i am mocking up my engine compartment wiring, and custom radiator mounts

downloadfile-2.jpg

20160828_161749.jpg

Last edited:
Yep my original paint color was 1967 medium blue poly, with a white and blue interior, or what was left of it. Slant sux/3 on the tree, radio delete, bench seat combo. Complete with missing bench seat , missing rear seat, and missing headliner bows, with 13x4" pizza cutter rims, and a 7&1/4 peggy pegleg rear. Fender I.D. tag was missing and it wasnt a particularly valuable optioned car anyways. I think it was also a vinyl floor car, however all of that was missing out of it along with the seatbelts.

I think it was originally a traveling salesman special. It came with only 3 options. Vspeed wiper, trip odometer, and vacuum gage. Is becoming a 360 V8/4 speed, bucket seat, 8&3/4 combo. With reinforced spool mount K , and 'Doba big brakes front and rear.

2 pix. As purchased, and currently. Dont look like much yet, but entire floor is replaced, all the chassis points are reinforced to prevent flex, subframe connectors installed, and now i am mocking up my engine compartment wiring, and custom radiator mounts

View attachment 1714998822

View attachment 1714998827

I happen to think that it is coming along nicely!! Quite a change from the poor little orphan it was on the trailer!!

Hi Cos,

Yep shes getting there. Was very sad looking ole girl with her bashed in face, and sunburnt texas two tone paint.

Like it or not, if everything was reproduced mixing parts wouldn't be necessary.
This thread is mixing years.
Like 2015 and 2016

Like it or not, if everything was reproduced mixing parts wouldn't be necessary.
This thread is mixing years.
Like 2015 and 2016
Very true, but most folks dont want to spend the money. So they are repopping the stuff that fits the most cars for those willing to spend the money. Like floorpans, trunk floors etc. I would love to see cuda door skins, and front fenders, but thats unlikely as its a way lower volume model than the darts and valiants.

I always wanted a 60's fast back Barricuda with a swinger front clip-I am under the belief that Mopar people would appreciate such a vehicle less than old car enthusiasts.
Purists and know-it-all's would give you grief-but who cares what they think. We make our choices, live our lives free, let the haters hate like a dog barking at you from behind a fence. Make the choices that make you happy, maybe mom, dad, or some significant other can influence your decisions, maybe even a close friend, but others are not invested enough into your well-being to matter.

I'm not mixing years, but I am mixing models! I don't have a complete Cuda grille for 66 so I'm forced to go with a Valiant one!!

IMG_3086.JPG

-
Back