Mobile Vinyl Top Guy in the Bay Area?

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am getting pretty close to completing my GTS but I need a Mobile Vinyl Top Guy in the Bay Area? Anyone happen to know of someone? The car is in South SF. Long shot but I need to get this done asap.
Thanks,
Rob

Hey guys,
I am getting pretty close to completing my GTS but I need a Mobile Vinyl Top Guy in the Bay Area? Anyone happen to know of someone? The car is in South SF. Long shot but I need to get this done asap.
Thanks,
Rob

Give Mike Costa at Costa's Custom Covers in San Jose a call.

Hey,
I called and his shop is closed for repairs. I left a message but no response. Do you have a number for him?
Thanks

I'll check into it today. Mike is a good man, and a very skilled craftsman. I'll have to look in my phone and do a drive-by, but I'll get back to you.

I also use another shop, but you may have to have it flat bedded to and from. They aren't cheap, but they are the best I've ever seen from this area.

I'll check into it today. Mike is a good man, and a very skilled craftsman. I'll have to look in my phone and do a drive-by, but I'll get back to you.

I also use another shop, but you may have to have it flat bedded to and from. They aren't cheap, but they are the best I've ever seen from this area.

That would be great. Thanks

Hey guys,
Thanks,
Rob

Rob, have you thought about doing it yourself (actually, a second set of hands is really helpful when it comes times to lay the material down). It's not difficult to do.

Rob, have you thought about doing it yourself (actually, a second set of hands is really helpful when it comes times to lay the material down). It's not difficult to do.
Your the second person to say that. I am reluctant to lay down a vinyl top on a brand new paint job. Maybe I will look up some youtube videos. Thanks

Your the second person to say that. I am reluctant to lay down a vinyl top on a brand new paint job for the first time. Maybe I will look up some youtube videos. Thanks

2017-05-13 11.13.34.jpg

Any word? He didn't call me back. I will try him again. Thanks

I haven't been able to get a hold of Mike, but he is not retired.
There are many talented guys in this sport, but for me, I know my limitations. Upholstery work is one of them.

Do yourself a favor and inspect and vinyl top seams carefully. They need to be trimmed straight along the seams that run from front to rear. I'm not talking about the stich work, but the nearly inch long remnant that will lie down under the vinyl top to leave that 7/8" wide seam(running from front to rear) looking a bit raised near the stiches. It is critical to double check that it is not cut in an uneven way along the entire length of the seam. I had 2 tops from Legendary that were cut uneven and it left the seam uneven looking once done.

Also, the vinyl has to be trimmed back around the front and rear glass, so that the seal can be firmly attached to the painted metal and not the glued on vinyl covering that area. It can be done by a competent glass guy just before installing the glass.

This is the link for the best interior guys in our region. They may be able to be talked into coming out and doing the work. If you have an air compressor, it would help in convincing them.
Finish Line | Car Interiors

My car was originally not painted under the top, but that led to some surface rust. I actually found some other surface rust in the lower quarter panels too, but it sanded off. ( I wanted to rub that in a bit for our east coast readers, ;-)

It was fully finished and polished when Mike glued the top down. It has stuck down flawlessly since then. Some guys suggested dulling the paint for better adhesion, but it has not been necessary. My car leads a sheltered life these days.

View attachment 1715050161

Cuda25.jpg

My car was originally not painted under the top, but that led to some surface rust. I actually found some other surface rust in the lower quarter panels too, but it sanded off. ( I wanted to rub that in a bit for our east coast readers, ;-)

It was fully finished and polished when Mike glued the top down. It has stuck down flawlessly since then. Some guys suggested dulling the paint for better adhesion, but it has not been necessary. My car leads a sheltered life these days.

View attachment 1715050161

View attachment 1715050162

I have seen that beautiful Cuda at the Mopar Alley Show. Thanks for the advise. I will try to call that place.

-
Back