moderate 360 build

-

mopars

Reaction score
Hey this my first time into something like this.
Im looking to do a moderate 360 build? The block is a 1980 block with heads of 1.88 intake and exhaust of 1.60. The stock pistions will be used. Just curious of what you think i should do and go with?
Thanks

get a xe268 cam theres a article on a 360 smog motor making like 330hp or something like that

I believe the article duster boy is speaking of is this one:

Article Clicky

This article uses the comp XE 262 H

I did choose the cam based on this article. Still waiting to drop it in (Have not yet recieved my headers from Harold)

I am running:

Comp Cam as above (262 XE)
Clevite Double roller timing Chain
Comp Lifters
Stock pistons
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Weiand Dual plane Highrise Intake
Spitfire Headers (I hope)

If you are putting it in a 67 or later a-body, you could do much better with a better set of headers.

IMAGE_031.jpg

IMAGE_030.jpg

They make no mention of swapping valve springs with the cam change.I have to assume the stock springs were used.

How long would they last with that rapid lift cam?

They probably could have seen a few more h.p up top with better springs..

Hey thanks that was a great help. That looks like what i'll be doing. I"m also curious if the pistions are no good. What should i look at doing for pistion stock or is it better to step up a bit and get better ones?
thanks again!

They make no mention of swapping valve springs with the cam change.I have to assume the stock springs were used.

How long would they last with that rapid lift cam?

They probably could have seen a few more h.p up top with better springs..

You will have to change the valve springs to what the cam manufactors recomend.

The guys where I bought my Cam and lifters said that the stock springs would be fine for this Cam? The springs in my application only had 30,000 miles on them though? I would venture that new stock spec. springs should be sufficient for this cam.

I ran the XE262H with stock springs for awhile, but they suggest that anything over the 260 cams (all lines) really need aftermarket springs. They're not all that expensive.

Comp Cams actually sells springs for their cams.

Oh, and as for building an '80 360 motor with the stock crank/rods/springs, remember, your compression is VERY low in that engine. 8.4:1 (or at least my '78 360 was), so you're saddled with that from the get-go. Granted, replacing pistons and/or rods gets expensive, especially when you've got to have the cylinders bored over, but it should make for a bigger difference once it's running.

-
Back