Modern 318 in a 72 duster.. Possible???

-

Josecuda

Reaction score
Hello: I have a 72 duster with a slant six that I use as my daily driver. I will like to have more power without having to pay high gas costs. I thought about swapping a 318 or 360 out of a modern cherokee because these are easy to get and are CHEAP :smile:. Is this swap possible? What mounts should I use? Which parts should I need out of the cherokee donor car?

if im not mistaken the magnum engine is almost a bolt in replacement to the "LA" you would nead to swap the intake to a carb. there are several magnum 4bbl intakes avalible. the magnum 360 is ballanced differently from the LA however

You would have to install the ecu as well if you wanted to use the efi, as well as a high flow electronic fuel pump to maintain the high fuel pressure needed for the fuel injectors. A carb would definitley be the easiest route.

You can (and I am not saying that it is easy) swap in the engine and transmission from the Jeep along with the computer. That way, all of the drivetrain will work together as it was intended. With everything controlled by the computer you would get maximum performance, mileage and reliability.

Then for performance you can add a chip!

I am not certain about the Jeep transmission set up though. For the swap that I think you are looking at doing, I would look at either a Ram or a Dakota pickup for a donor... a 2wd donor will work better than a 4wd donor.

TheDemonator said:
Then for performance you can add a chip!

So tell me, where does the "Chip" plug in?

Answer; Not! You swap out the entire computer.

if you spend enough time and money you can do alot of things , but often times it isnt worth the trouble. to swap in the magnum 318 or 360 it just makes sense to use the carb, unless your just a glutten for punishment. the trans for a 2wd dakota or ram neads floor pan mods to fit in an A body.the dakota and ram do have overdrive, something that helps gas mpg alot! even if i was going to use one of these trannys i would still use a carb, and install 2 toggle switches to activate the OD and lock up converter.

What is your budget for this? and what are you capable of doing yourself?

I will like to maintain a low budget on this one. According to the coments I have read, it sounds much easier to bolt in a carb instead of the EFI assembly so I will maybe go that way better.... So, can I use the 5.2L Jeep engine, replace thew EFI for a carb and Im on the right track? Can I use any older intake and carb combo on the newer 318 block??

rumblefish360 said:
So tell me, where does the "Chip" plug in?

Answer; Not! You swap out the entire computer.

IIRC the truck motors the "chip" plugs into the port between the computer and cable. Those are the Jet chips and they aren't as good as the MP computer swap or the programmers that re=write the ECU settings.

Josecuda said:
I will like to maintain a low budget on this one. According to the coments I have read, it sounds much easier to bolt in a carb instead of the EFI assembly so I will maybe go that way better.... So, can I use the 5.2L Jeep engine, replace thew EFI for a carb and Im on the right track? Can I use any older intake and carb combo on the newer 318 block??

DON'T LET ANYONE TALK YOU OUT OF IT. It can be done, just takes a little bit of effort.

The swap can be done, you will need to remember a few things:
1. You will need and electric fuel pump and regulator.
2. You will need the know-how to take apart a factory wire loom and make it work in your application. (note: 92-93 Dakotas and Vans did not use electronic O/D transmissions, therfore you do not have to worry about trans wiring. You can use a brake pedal switch for the lockup T/Q. But I recommend just going with a 727 trans)
3. Even if you do a carb, you will still need an electric fuel pump.
4. Get a 360, forget the 318, why do the same amount of work for less HP.
5. You will need to do a serpentine setup.
6. Use the Mopar M1 4bbl intake with the injector bosses, stock beer barrel works too.
7. Mopar will be offering a bolt-in Magnum fuel injection kit for their crate motors, it will include, computer, injectors, intake, wiring and i think a fuel pump. They supposed to be a low-cost setup, but that remains to be seen. It had a write-up in the last 2 issues of MOPAR ACTION. I think there might be some mention on the MA website.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/Savoy.html

you know all jeeps are 4wd's right? so your going to need a 2wd tranny.

unless its an old comanche....but they dident come with 318's

You could get a 2wd Grand Cherokee, but it would be cheaper to find a pickup or van for parts.

If you are looking to do this Painless Perfromance is going to be building this harness for the fuel injected 318 and 360 and they should be out by mid summer. It will be a computer and harness to put this motor into anything you want. All you will have to do is make your brackets for the motor and plug the system in. Web site is www.painlessperformance.com I will keep you updated on the status of this harness and when it will be coming out.

It can be done for sure...seen a 73 Dart with 318 magnum swap at the track running 13.2's all day long. The only mods were the Mopar Performance cam for a Magnum ( there is only one available from Mopar for the Magnum). Very mild sounding cam. There are plenty of choices available out there in the aftermarket though. If you want to get real aggressive with the 318 magnum, I would suggest a 210X from KRC Performance.

And don't listen to the "opt for a 360 instead"...My stock 318 5 speed Dakota beat up PLENTY of stock Dakota R/T's. It responded MUCH better with equal Mod for Mod to boot. The 360 has ALWAYS been a "truck motor". The 318 is the sister motor to a 340. Cubic Inches will not necessarily win a race. If this was true a 440 would stomp all over a 426 hemi. I also will say to the naysayers I have a 2.4L SRT-4 that stomped all over a built 454 El Camino.

I also will say to the naysayers I have a 2.4L SRT-4 that stomped all over a built 454 El Camino.[/QUOTE]

As do I. 400 fwhp in a 2900 lbs car is nice. But the turbo helps a little. :lol:

If you have no skills with electronics wiring, then it is well worth it, if you have some electrical ability, then you can do it yourself.

One of the real advantages of a Magnum motor with FI is the incredible amount of torque you will have campared to a caburated engine with the same cam and components. Ina light car, they can be quick. I saw an article years back where they took a 5.9 magnum with a 292 cam and carb, dropped it into a duster with 3.91's and a 727 and ran 12.90's. I think If I remember right, they ended up getting 12.50's with tuning and tweaking.

I saw an article years back where they took a 5.9 magnum with a 292 cam and carb, dropped it into a duster with 3.91's and a 727 and ran 12.90's. I think If I remember right, they ended up getting 12.50's with tuning and tweaking.

ok you lost me...lol.. your talking about the advantage of injection but say that they took a magnum 360 and put a 292 cam and carb on it...

340_Scamp said:
The 318 is the sister motor to a 340.

What!!...the 318 is a stepchild next to a 340,only thing they have in common is they were bought produced by ma mopar.... :)

-
Back