modern car audio GPS

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Are there any Kenwood audio gurus here? Have an older double DIN w/Garmin nav and the nav screens are all broken links as if there is no map data. It's a 2013 model. Tiny font links say maps are outdated (2013) and new maps are available. I don't care. I want the old (free) maps that cane with the $750 unit when new! If it forces me to spend $60 every time a "new" map is available i may as well just put this on yearly autopay....NOT! There is no micro SD in the slot. Every other function works great.

did you buy it new?

If you did not buy it new you may be SOL for free maps. a lot of time things like that do not transfer. You might be able to find a friendly person who would let you make a copy of their SD card, dont know if it would work?

don't know what model you have but some have Firmware updates maybe that will help????

my guess is you have to have an account thru Kenwood or maybe direct to Garmin and can download the appropriate data to an SD card and go from there.

worst case is MAYBE you pay the 60.00 and get the current data for maps and once the SD card is in the radio the maps will function forever????

Have you contacted Kenwood and or Garmin?

I bought 3 Garmin's 10 years ago that had "Lifetime Maps" I have had no issues updating them.

Good luck!

KENWOOD DNX570HD. I don't buy anything new...:rolleyes:
I would truly think the thing would work with the original maps for as long as needed with updates being optional. Not pay to play. That's some bullshit right there. I wonder if a factory reset would jostle its memory? I understand it can use open source map data id i can locate it. As it stands, It shows me nothing but a 50x30 tileboard of broken links. Perhaps the empty micro SD is the problem? may the maps are stored on that and that is my broken link source.

That's what I am thinking. It might need to have the maps on the SD card.

can you contact the PO?

Storage unit haul. Long gone. Ill try some SD cards. Interesting that it would list SD as media storage also. Maybe just a folder in the mSD is used for media.

yes, I downloaded the manuals. The MAP files are about a gig.

An 8 year old radio is probably too old for support. I have found that the built in Garmin GPS in my 2018 caravan works like crap compared to the free one on my iPhone. Even if you get it fixed it will probably be very second rate.

I have found that the built in Garmin GPS in my 2018 caravan works like crap compared to the free one on my iPhone. Even if you get it fixed it will probably be very second rate
Can't speak to built in Garmin, but my 10 year old Garmin's work great especially where there is no cell service like between I80 and I90 in many states, or on I70 in utah

Can't speak to built in Garmin, but my 10 year old Garmin's work great especially where there is no cell service like between I80 and I90 in many states, or on I70 in utah

Yeah, that is true. I have had the same experience. No cell service, no gps. I have heard there are cell phone gps apps that don’t require cell service, but I have never tried one.

I have just soured on Garmin lately. In order to get the traffic updates on my built in Garmin gps in my dodge, I would have to pay $20 a month. Not worth it when I get the same thing for free on my iPhone. Of course cell service is far from free, but if you have one & have unlimited data, it doesn’t cost more. I guess there are a lot of assumptions associated with my opinion.

My wife’s Ford GPS system has a much nicer interface than mine. It seems to be a lot more useful.

I have just soured on Garmin lately. In order to get the traffic updates on my built in Garmin gps in my dodge, I would have to pay $20 a month. Not worth it when I get the same thing for free on my iPhone. Of course cell service is far from free, but if you have one & have unlimited data, it doesn’t cost more. I guess there are a lot of assumptions associated with my opinion.

My wife’s Ford GPS system has a much nicer interface than mine. It seems to be a lot more useful

I was talking to a tow truck driver a few years back. He had towed a car with the owner in his cab to a VERY remote house in the Colorado mountains. Turn left at the tree, turn right at the gully, you get the picture.

After he dropped the car and owner off he figured he would just use his phone to find his way back.

No cell service = no map!

As I understand it you can download maps on Google maps so cell service is not needed.

I did find that my Garmin with voice recognition was horrible at voice recognition

I was looking to buy some amunition and thought why not check for "amunition" so I said all the magic words to find "amunition" along my route. The very first result that popped up was an elementary school.

At that point I changed the word to wake it up from "Garmin" to "dumb ****"

Last edited:
Maps are not a huge factor in this, but it would be nice to have something pop up instead of a white screen. I've got a few feelers out there for DNX5xx users to send me a copy of their mSD card content. Maybe someone will 'bro' me. It looks like I can get a "Garmin 2021" maps in mSD on ebay for $19 but I'm not sure its for a Garmin on Kenwood? It could be just for the Garmin standalones. Not gonna try that.

ouch, asked someone that was selling the 2021 map update and they said my unit was broken and their map wont fix. I ran a diagnostic and found my device passed all the self tests (NVRAM too!) but was missing the base map, junction map and detail map. Im reinstalling the base map (I think) off the garmin express site but Im wondering of the junction and detail map are included? I have another on the way with a power issue, maybe I can get one out of these 2 working. Glutton for punishment!

-
Back