Modern day Superbird (picture)

-
Well, looks like it's got all the bells and whistles to be plastic, is that a concept from Fiat?

I like it as a tribute to the original Superbirds, but it has no real purpose. Because of that, it may be no better than the rice rockets with their funky wings.

I think it's friggin' bad ***! I doubt that I'd pay no $50K+ for it though......I don't think. :D

The only thing I'm not that wild about are those front fender air extractors......they look a bit cheesy, like a Pep Boys' stick-on. The wheels are cool but look about as deep as a dang pizza pan.

that's a DODGE so it is a modern day DAYTONA anyways, had it been built using a charger body instead it would look better. Just give me a option maxed out SRT 392 LX body and I will be way happier!

ugly, just like the originals. they were a gimmick then and still are.

lol dozens of world records that stand today on the flats, over 200 mph average at Talladega, yea that's a gimmick...

new one is ugly though...

didn't say they didnt work at the track. its just an aero band aid.

Aero bandaid? Chrysler was on the forefront of using the wind tunnel to design cars, even in the (40's/50's) with the Chrysler Airflow. the Daytona and bird were designed to do what they do, and they did it well... they made the most out of a body style and most cars today could only dream of getting to those numbers...

I guess slicks are a bandaid to? :wack:

and I don't really think they are nice to look at, my dad had a white 440 mag auto when he was in the military.

Gimmick??? uh, you might wanna look up... nevermind...

lol, you guys sure are touchy this morning. ha ha ha. come on. they built those crazy nose cones and the giant wings for racing purposes only. then they built just enough of them for the public to make them abide by the rule book. Im not saying it wasnt cutting edge at the time. im saying that they didnt build an aerodynamic car to win. they added a huge cone on the nose and a massive wing. if honda put a 24" long nose on a civic and a 36" tall spoiler on deck lid and started setting records you all would be talking smack on it. not looking to pick a fight. just saying what i think. I understand they worked. i get that but i also think it was pretty wild.

lol, you guys sure are touchy this morning. ha ha ha. come on. they built those crazy nose cones and the giant wings for racing purposes only. then they built just enough of them for the public to make them abide by the rule book. Im not saying it wasnt cutting edge at the time. im saying that they didnt build an aerodynamic car to win. they added a huge cone on the nose and a massive wing. if honda put a 24" long nose on a civic and a 36" tall spoiler on deck lid and started setting records you all would be talking smack on it. not looking to pick a fight. just saying what i think. I understand they worked. i get that but i also think it was pretty wild.

if that's what it took for a Honda to do those numbers then it is what it is. I guess the thing that urks me is people down on a car that made supercars into the 90's just ehh... even now with supercars and nascar they don't impress because they really havn't come that far, a ton more tech but really not all that impressive.

if I recall from 150mph to 250mph it takes 735hp, the Veyron GT(?) is at its end at 257 and 1250hp. a well prepped hemi N/A can make that power and a ton more. I guess my question is if an original Daytona was redone lower and updated in some respects, and drop a big ci NA, singe turbo, etc hemi or even wedge if it would not go faster...

and after that you'll have what 200K into it maybe? as I recall their is a f body firebird in the Netherlands or something that runs faster than the Veyron GT with a under 500 inch turbo...

they built those crazy nose cones and the giant wings for racing purposes only. then they built just enough of them for the public to make them abide by the rule book. Im not saying it wasnt cutting edge at the time. im saying that they didnt build an aerodynamic car to win.

No offense but really.Think about what you just said.NASCAR banned the whole concept because they were too dominating.I like the winged cars and would drive the wheels off one including the new aftermarket versions.Sure it takes a minute to get used to the look but the body lines are great on the old ones.

if that's what it took for a Honda to do those numbers then it is what it is. I guess the thing that urks me is people down on a car that made supercars into the 90's just ehh... even now with supercars and nascar they don't impress because they really havn't come that far, a ton more tech but really not all that impressive.

if I recall from 150mph to 250mph it takes 735hp, the Veyron GT(?) is at its end at 257 and 1250hp. a well prepped hemi N/A can make that power and a ton more. I guess my question is if an original Daytona was redone lower and updated in some respects, and drop a big ci NA, singe turbo, etc hemi or even wedge if it would not go faster...

and after that you'll have what 200K into it maybe? as I recall their is a f body firebird in the Netherlands or something that runs faster than the Veyron GT with a under 500 inch turbo...

id like to see it hang a corner like the veyron. lol it old tech. vs. new tech.

Not bad looking but I imagine that unlike the originals this is more of an appearance option than function. Would I like one? Nope not if I was using MY money.

As for the originals, the Superbird is my all time favorite car hands down. Does everyone like the styling with its big nose and crazy wing? Who cares, whats looks got to do with it? Mopar built it as a machine to dominate the field. I doubt a soldier cares about the styling of his weapon if it lets him dominate the battlefield.

It was a record setting (NASCAR changed the rules because it dominated the track), purpose built 200mph + machine, and even made available for the street. In 1970. OMG.

Nothing else like it. Would I want one today? You bet! Always have!

Not bad looking but I imagine that unlike the originals this is more of an appearance option than function. Would I like one? Nope not if I was using MY money.

As for the originals, the Superbird is my all time favorite car hands down. Does everyone like the styling with its big nose and crazy wing? Who cares, whats looks got to do with it? Mopar built it as a machine to dominate the field. I doubt a soldier cares about the styling of his weapon if it lets him dominate the battlefield.

It was a record setting (NASCAR changed the rules because it dominated the track), purpose built 200mph + machine, and even made available for the street. In 1970. OMG.

Nothing else like it. Would I want one today? You bet! Always have!

we do have to mention the street versions got the 440 mag or street hemi, much different than a race hemi...

-
Back