Modern vs. Old School

-
Hartman-52 said:
Gooday:

I'll take the nice mellow rumble sound of a 340 or 440 Mopar blowing out of 2 1/2 inch pipes any day over a rice rocket 4 banger impersonating a power sound by blowing exhaust out of a 1 inch exhaust pipe with a 10 inch diameter chrome fart can welded onto it!
:drinkers: :thumblef:

That car he pictured is no rice rocket. that little guy will likely outrun my barracuda..or keep dead even :silent: Then again, i am only running a 318, and to make it fair, i getta turbo too, lol

Pyro4117 said:
Must be a generational thing. The hopped up 4 bangers may be faster, but the flatulent buzz just doesn't have the same effect for me as a nice V8 rumble!

Jay
You got that right brother!

I have only seen a handful of front drivers that can actually run decent at my altitude even with the turbos they run. Thing is, have you asked one of the kids running one what they have spent on them? There are some that have $30-40K to run 12's with any consistancy.

66dartman said:
I have only seen a handful of front drivers that can actually run decent at my altitude even with the turbos they run. Thing is, have you asked one of the kids running one what they have spent on them? There are some that have $30-40K to run 12's with any consistancy.

i know its sad, not all of the cars are that way but wow they have to put alot of mods on to run 12's, its sad i mean now days for a 4cyl stock 15's is a fast one :silent: back in the muscle car days 11's was fast for a stock motor...times change....not for the good. I cant imagine the new cars 4cyl trying to push some mopars 3600+lbs thats sad

I'm withyou guys, nothing beats the old school muscle. It would be nice to have something like an SRT-$ or the new Ram quad cab hemi for daily transport, but then again the 09 challenger with 425 ponies may be a sweet ride if it doesn't get changed for Nascar rules before then. Too bad they wouldn't listen to the comsumer this time!!

Someone mentioned a BMW E30 M3 In this thread. I had one for 4 years and it was one hell of a car. The first M3 was the E30 and came to the US in the late 80s at a msrp of $35,000. It had a 200 hp, 2.3ltr, 16 valve chain driven inline 4 banger with 4, 46 mm throttle bodies, 4 into 2 header with X-pipe, 2 cats and a single dual in, dual out straight through muffler. 11” 4 wheel disks with ABS, 5 speed only, 4.10 lsd rear, 7200 rev limit (7800 with chip). All at only 2750lbs. With the big bore, short stroke combo the car didn’t have much torque and ran the 1/4 in low 15s, high 14s @ 90+ MPH.....But once on I84 with my girlfriend behind the wheel (she was from Europe, hairy pits and all) we did 30 miles at a sustained speed of 140 mph. At 60 mph the car got 33 mpg. All this in stock form, not bad for an 80s car.

The engine is called an S14 and was made to fit into the strict european touring car rules. A stock rebuild on a S14 runs $7,000. A tune up (cap, plugs, wires, rotor) costs $500.

What would it take to get the car into the 13s? In short, $20,000.

I've driven and owned a few euro cars, a lot of american cars (new and old), japanese cars and hell I used to 1/4 mile race 2 and 4 stroke Japanese motorcycles. To this day there is no substitution for the weighty rumble of a Chrysler Big Block with a low restriction exhaust and a lumpy cam. When I stand 5 feet behind my Demon and watch my pant legs fluttering and listen to that MUSIC I get a big "woody". :evil2:

Alright boys i think i have figured it all out the appeal of old school V-8 muscle power. Me being in my 20's i have been around the whole ricer crowd and crap, my friends have little 4 bangers that haul ***. I my self have a 94 mazda protege LX that is my daily beater. And i mean beater. It is the lag man, every one of the little 4 bangers, v-6, supped up rides i have been in, you have to wait for the engine to catch up to your input. Crap most of the time on the freeway i don't use my 5th gear unless i am doing a long road trip. Why because it just is responsive enough for me. When i step on the gas to get around someone or to change a lane i want it now and then. I don't get it with the 4 banger. Even my buddy's hopped up 4 banger i drove lags. It really gets me all pissed off. I love the response of a old school V-8 that when you step on the pedal it opens up and your at WOT, you get pulled into the seat and the car moves, not like ok i hear the engine reving up ok here we go. Nah a the oldschool cars are pure power when you want it.

Ok enough with my little rant. And just for the info I got a 69 340 cuda and 68 383 cuda. Just so i don't seem like a little punk kid trying to fit in.

Later the cheese

Well my youngest boy Tim who is 17 is seen here with his new 2003 SRT-4. The yellow one that ran 12's got hit by a truck and totaled last year. He wants us to do more on this one and try to get in in the 11's. And Ron Jr who is 19 has the 11 second 400 Dart. But they both like new and old muscle. In fact Ron Jr may also get an SRT-4 as his daily driver as he may get a good deal on one. They enjoy the cars and have good clean fun racing each other at the track. But right now it looks like old school muscle still rules in our family and my 63 should be hitting the road this summer also. They are good kids and keep the racing on the track where it belongs. Ron

107955453.jpg

i am 17 and am around the 'ricer' crowd, when i wrecked my dart i had to drive a honda, 91 accord, good gas milage and a 4 cyl 5 speed, it will move concidering it weights nothing...but its still slow, faster then my dart with the stock /6, but o well, there are alot of cars around here fwd with wings...seriously why do they get the wings awww, and stupid graphics geez i mean i can somewhat respect some of the kids they put in the wrench time and all but nothing like an old car rumble :notworth: anyways cant wait to build up the cuda :drinkers: :thumblef:

-
Back