Modified 8.25 is complete!!

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Well, it started in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=153229

But my modified 8.25 axle is finally back under the car. It has 1994 Jeep brakes, a 29 spline Dakota Trak-Lock, Dutchman Performance hybrid axles (thanks to Cass over at Dr. Diff).

We ran it on jack stands for a few minutes to let it free spin and to check the new brakes out. After that I drove it around the neighborhood just to give it a little shake down and make sure nothing drastic was going to happen.

I will admit I was nervous as hell that I was going to set up the gears wrong (never done it before). But, I took my time, did my research and double checked my work. No rear end noise so far. WOO HOO!!

I was VERY pissed that the LPW cover did not fit properly. The cap feet are scrapped and it's now just a heavy duty cover. I've owned it for so long they would not do anything for me. I also had to grind out the inside of the cover to clear the adjuster lock bolts...the LPW is anything but a bolt on unit, and I would not recommend it to anyone unless LPW can explain why nothing lines up.

DSC_0004.jpg

Brakessmall.jpg

nice. how much you have into it, complete?

Somewhere in the $800-900 range for the entire project, including carrier and 3.55 gears.

it looks good.
I'm looking at the relation of the spring pad to the U turn in the flexible fluid lines.
If that is a inverted U when under the car You could have a small air bubble in the line that would be nearly impossible to bleed out. Sort of like the bubble in the vile of a level.
Even if, Its probably not be enough to make a noticable difference in braking.
One way to find out if there is a bubble trapped in there is un-mount the caliper and hold it straight up with the bleeder pointed up and let it free bleed while watching for the air to escape.

Hadn't thought of that. The lines are a bit of a question mark right now anyway. I bought them off the shelf, and they are a bit high. They sit just outside the sub-frame rails and I am concerned they could hit, but the suspension would need to move a LOT. I'm going to keep an eye on them and may go to a slightly different setup..may even try for factory Jeep lines.

-
Back