Modify a Magnum for LA rocker gear oiling ?

-
I bought a '94 5.2 hoping it had the oil holes from the factory.... but it didn't.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think with a jig a guy could drill this at home without too much complications. Haven't tried it though
Everything seams easy enough in theory. Lol. I have a block that may be junk and I plan to try drilling the two oil holes from the deck to the cam bores. Not sure when I will get a chance, but the plan is to build a simple drill guide using another block as a template. If I ruin this one it's no big loss.

Have you experienced some that won't? Just curious for information sake.

Cley

I had to go back and look at the post to see what was said.

If you are using stud mounted rockers then pushrod length, valve stem height, lift and…**** I forget the last point but all those things with stud mounted rockers affect geometry.

Once everything else is set, like stem heights and such then pushrod length affects geometry.

If you have shaft mounted rockers that isn’t so.

Once you establish stem height and such, then you have to determine if the shafts are in the correct position. Mostly they aren’t.

So you have to move the shafts to correct geometry.

Once the shafts are where they go, then you measure for pushrod length according to where the rocker arm manufacturer tells you how much adjuster protrusion you have to have.

You can alter the geometry SLIGHTLY changing pushrod length with shaft mounted rockers but nothing of consequence.

Dumb question, the aftermarket rockers that accept oil through pushrods just have a hole in adjuster that feeds a hole through rocker body to shaft. With standard aftermarket rockers not made for oil through how does pushrod tip to rocker get oil with a solid pushrod? I only have had oil through types

Last edited:
Dumb question, the aftermarket rockers that accept oil through pushrods just have a hole in adjuster that feeds a hole through rocker body to shaft. With standard aftermarket rockers not made for oil through how does pushrod tip to rocker get oil with a solid pushrod? I only have had oil through types

It depends on the rocker.

If it’s a Crane or DC/MP rocker the oil goes into the shaft and then it gets to the rocker. There is a hole in the rocker and oil squirts out that hole onto the adjuster and hopefully into the cup.

If it is a rocker like PRW it oils the same until you get to the adjuster. Those rockers use a hole in the adjuster and it oils backwards from your example.

In other words, rather than going up through the pushrod and through the adjuster to the rocker, the oil goes into the shaft, out of the shaft to the rocker and then out a hole in the rocker that feeds the adjuster.

So the PRW rocker oils backwards of your example.

It depends on the rocker.

If it’s a Crane or DC/MP rocker the oil goes into the shaft and then it gets to the rocker. There is a hole in the rocker and oil squirts out that hole onto the adjuster and hopefully into the cup.

If it is a rocker like PRW it oils the same until you get to the adjuster. Those rockers use a hole in the adjuster and it oils backwards from your example.

In other words, rather than going up through the pushrod and through the adjuster to the rocker, the oil goes into the shaft, out of the shaft to the rocker and then out a hole in the rocker that feeds the adjuster.

So the PRW rocker oils backwards of your example.
So for the prw basically it can be used either way and oil is just going to flow in whichever direction the pressure is pushing it? Sounds like the oil channel in rocker is exactly the same.

So for the prw basically it can be used either way and oil is just going to flow in whichever direction the pressure is pushing it? Sounds like the oil channel in rocker is exactly the same.

Yes, that’s correct. With a PRW rocker you can pushrod oil the shafts and not use Chrysler oiling through the block.

It would have been way easier if I just said that in the first place lol.

would be great if somebody can put up a link for the PRW LA-Type Rockers that are usable with PR Oiling.

The comp rockers I used work like you say the PRW ones do. Basically oil flows from the push rod tip to the rest of the rocker arm when used on a Magnum, instead of from the shaft, through the rocker arm to the push rod top when used on an LA.

CLEY

The comp rockers I used work like you say the PRW ones do. Basically oil flows from the push rod tip to the rest of the rocker arm when used on a Magnum, instead of from the shaft, through the rocker arm to the push rod top when used on an LA.

CLEY

I forgot about Comp rockers. Pretty much same as PRW in the way they oil.

-
Back