Modifying a horn ring for std steering wheel

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have a spare really crusty pitted horn ring i decided to experiment with. I cut the half ring off, and the black marker on its spokes is a mockup to how i am thinking of cutting slots in the spokes to make it look a bit like a rallye wheel, or more like the 60s european style wheels. I have 2 different ideas. The really nice chrome ring in the last photo is the one i originally want to use on my car, i did not cut that one up. Whatcha think single slots or double slots? Or just put the good chrome one on and leave it stock?.

20161123_144022.jpg

20161123_173134.jpg

20161123_144048.jpg

Last edited:
Single slots would be easier for me to cut out. Then again i could cut double slots and if i didnt like them i could cut more and make single slots out of it.

I like them both. It is a nice improvement just losing the ring. Thinking about cutting mine up now.

Thanks. I got the idea from my friends 65 mustang wheel. The spokes on his are wider and have black painted circles to make it look like a sport wheel. I bet the wheel underneath his cool looking horn ring is a regular ford falcon wheel.

The stock mopar 67 wheel is ok for more pedestrian offerings, but it looks kinda stuffy for a sporry barracuda. I think chrysler could have differentiated the barracuda a bit more from the valiant with a different wheel center to go along with the more sporting rallye dash for not much more coin.

images.jpg

Last edited:
Although you know I like the original with the horn ring, I do like the double slots better than the single slots!!

Probably going to use a unibit to cut the holes at the ends of the slots. I also will strip the chrome and sand off all the pitting. I will get the pot metal smooth and polish it up like chrome.

Last edited:
Latest pic. If you grind the spokes on the top surface, you can grind them thin enough that the centers just about fall out. I guess this means its gonna be single slots

20161125_115204.jpg

Heres the ring shown just set in place on my new goodmark wheel. The spokes looks twisted but they are not. I have thin black textured lexan i plan on gluing into the slots

20161125_164937.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back