Modifying racing suspension

-

plugger340

Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda has a front racing suspension that I want to convert for street use. Everything seems to be overkill on it but the extra long hiem is causing the main problems. Can this setup be converted to street or am I better off in selling it and buying a street kit?

Attachments

• steering1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 281
  • steering2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 295
  • steering7.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 285
Maybe a skinnier front tire with less backspacing on the wheel would get your tire away from it.

My vote would be a narrower wheel with less backspacing. My guess would be that pin is heat treated and you probably don't want to go cutting on it. It's probably that long so you can adjust the spacers above or below the heim to dial out bumpsteer. (It's just a guess).

if the bolt is heat treated it can be cut slowly with an abrasive cut off saw. Slow because you want to avoid heating the bolt up.

The threading is a bit tricky as a die will not work, but a carbide threading tool will do it. Although i am sure a new bolt can be fabricated.

drill out the spindle where it goes,get a shorter bolt(grade 8 ) and locking nut,use a proper sized drill bit...........problem solved and ends up stronger

drill out the spindle where it goes,get a shorter bolt(grade 8 ) and locking nut,use a proper sized drill bit...........problem solved and ends up stronger

That's what I thought but one of the forum members said that the drilled hole would wear excessively without the taper

with a heim end, the bolt and nut get locked down tight,unless the bolt comes loose there will be no way for it to get sloppy,those tapered pieces they make are wimpy at best and the weakest link,I raced figure eight stock cars for over fifteen years and we found the weakest links and eliminated them so as to be finishing races with the front end still alighned. just as long as he drills the hole the proper size there wont be any issues and he can keep his spacers for the bump steer ajustment for the rack and pinion
That's what I thought but one of the forum members said that the drilled hole would wear excessively without the taper

the nut holding that tapered piece to the spindle end isn't much good as it is the threads arent even into the nyloc part of it????

the nut holding that tapered piece to the spindle end isn't much good as it is the threads arent even into the nyloc part of it????

The suspension was taken off when the engine bay was painted and reassembled loose. Guess I'll to talk to a machine shop to see if the mods can be done. Thanks for your help everyone ...

how much clearance is there for the rim? it don't look like much there either???

-
Back