Moly rings and nitrous

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm trying to make an educated decision on what rings to buy for my 440. I have icon forged pistons and plan on running up to 300 shot of nitrous. My big block mopar book says moly rings are safe for up to 450 shot of spray. one of the techs at sealed power told me anything but stainless rings would fail in my application. ??? Another issue I'm having is finding good rings in 5/64. There seems to be a wider selection for 1/16. I have found rings with moly top rings and cast lower but not with two moly rings.
this is what im looking at.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-4320AM8-040/

1. Will moly rings work in my application?

2. Since the kits I'm finding only have moly tops, could I buy 2 sets of tops and use them as second rings? Or is there a physical difference between the two? Gapped accordingly of course.

I'm also looking at these;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-4320BD8-040/
These are 1/16 rings so I'd have to switch pistons but the top ring is ductile iron as opposed to iron and plasma moly coated instead of just moly coated. Plus the pistons and pins I'd be switching to weigh in at 800ish grams as opposed to the 600ish gram ones I have now. Think its worth the switch? Better rings with more rotating weight.

In general, std moly rings will flake when hit with a hard n2o shot.

If it was me, I wouldn't be looking at any KB ring product. Nor any Speed Pro or "normal" average ring set. An NO2 hit above 250 is more likely to be affected by temps, pressures, and conditions that might give it more of a tendancy to run "on the edge". You want to build for the added stress. I'd only use one type of ring on an engine destined for big NO2. That's Childs and Albert. I'm not a big fan of the ZGS or Total Seal's gapless top. But the C&A performance rings are IMO the best on the market, and that's what you need.

With the questions you ask I'd forget about 300 shots and build and learn to tune much more forgiving combo's. Really with a perfect tune you can get away with stuff that isn't recommended,with an off tune NO amount of good parts will save you.

With the questions you ask I'd forget about 300 shots and build and learn to tune much more forgiving combo's. Really with a perfect tune you can get away with stuff that isn't recommended,with an off tune NO amount of good parts will save you.

So true!!

I have a wideband sensor and plan on doing everything possible to avoid detonation. I plan on starting with a 100 shot and perfecting my tune with that and slowly moving on up. 300 is the most I would ever do so I'm trying to build my engine to handle it.

My recommendation would be to call Total Seal. I am sure they can hook you up.

Can plasma moly rings be used it Nitrous? A small shot of 100 and max 150?

there's a thread over here too:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...Main=5140218&Words=+2qik4u&topic=&Search=true

they are talking about cams and it's recommended to use solid lifter cams; any valve float or lifter problems with a hydraulic setup would be bad news, especially with a bigger shot of NOS

personally i wouldnt run stock rods / cast cranks either... maybe look into aluminum mains. a rev limiter also would be best... if you are running mopar ignition now you may need a MSD or something to get that feature.

it will pay off that you are doing your homework :D

I'm running all forged internals. not to worried about that.

After weeks of searching and calling around, the best rings I could find with 5/64 grove and 4.360 (.040 over) were some Ductile Iron Plasma moly coated ones. I'm to the point I dont even care about the cost anymore. If I could find some tool steel or similar rings I'd take em'. Anybody have I set of high end rings sitting on a shelf for me? I need to get my car back to the track!

Even using small amounts of NOS I would go with a hellfire ring (steel).

So small shot with my Hasting plasma moly rings not such a good idea? hmm good thing engine is on hold till summer.

So small shot with my Hasting plasma moly rings not such a good idea? hmm good thing engine is on hold till summer.
Depends on the tune and a true N2O build wouldn't run them. A street/strip build with good tuning would be fine.

-
Back