money talks..my duster build

-

72blue

Reaction score
Well folks i have owned and driven my 72 duster with the running /6 for a few years.The car had a vinyl top and was getting tough underneath.Its had body work at one time as i have found some filler and it is a canadian car after all.I have bit the bullet and sent it to my brother in law to do the body and paint for this year.the plan is to leave the motor until next year when i will drop the 440 in.Anyways heres the teardown pics and the beggining of discovering what old body work is in there.The project got sidelined and is almost 11 months in now.

teardown:

dusty1.jpg

dusty5.jpg

dusty9.jpg

dusty10.jpg

dusty11.jpg

dusty13.jpg

dusty23 NEW.jpg

dusty28new.jpg

dusty30new.jpg

dusty31new.jpg

more pics including widening the wheel wells to the frame for more rubber...after all this car IS getting a 440!

dusty33new.jpg

dusty34new.jpg

dusty35new.jpg

dusty37new.jpg

dusty38new.jpg

dusty40new.jpg

After alot of welding,sanding,filling,painting and smoothing.The body guy started buffing out the blue today.It helps that he is family and that he is very skilled and patient.The colours are viper metallic blue and the black is an isuzu metallic.The stripes are painted on and not decals.Once the black is buffed and the tinted glass goes in it should look killer.Once the 440 goes in...it WILL be:snakeman:

new dust.jpg

new dust2.jpg

new dust3.jpg

Hey good looking repairs and body work going on there. Your family does good work. Good looking paint too. Makes you feel good to fix it right, doesn't it. Keep up the good work. Another classic saved.

Thanks everyone.Im the kinda guy that likes doing things right the first time(or at least paying someone else to do it right if i cant!)I do plan on doing a spring relocate once the 440 goes in but for now the slant six will keep its place until i get more cash gathered.
Theres lotsa little custom touches on this car now for the purists to hate.Things like frenched in side marker lights,painted "decals",widened wheel wells...which were also stretched forward 1/8" on the botom corner to allow a taller tire if desired.I got alot of tips from guys on bigblockdart.com that were cheap/helpful.
The subframe connectors are now closed in against the floor with extra steel and the plastic body plugs removed and welded with solid discs.This kinda stuff makes fitting things much easier in the future and allows alot of options as well as rigidity.
I am quite happy with my brother in laws work,he deserves the real pat on the back.I will post better pics and more details soon.

Thanks again all!

Old school keystones,the car is on jackstands waiting for the glass to return from tinting.

dusted!.jpg

Thanks everyone,alot of knuckles were scraped by the body man during this build.Im sure he will be glad to send it home,i will post the final assembly pics over the next week or so.

rms (reilly motor sports),you can link them through bigblockdart.com which is run by the same guy.

Im thinking your Duster aint that bad for rot. My Dart is prolly worse...Nice color choice !

Well folks the car is home from paint and being backed into storage,i will try to get better shots on another sunny day soon.Its been a long haul to get this nice.

DUSTER SHINE.jpg

-
Back