MOOG Lower BJ Boot Problem

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
All,

I have completely gone thru the steering and suspension on my new 73 Dart. But near the end of the 3 weeks of work I'm stuck.

I'm installing Lower BJ now but cannot get the darn boot over the BJ shoulder to seat. At All. Do these need to be pressed on? It looks like just assembling the whole Lower BJ assy to the LCA won't seat it but I'm not for certain. Is there a method needed to get this down in place? Near the end of the ordeal :) and now this!

Thanks so Much!

Marion

Get yourself a length of fence post pipe, or plumbing pipe, the diameter of the lip of the grease boot, and tap it down into place using your hammer on the end of the pipe.

Some of the Moog ball joints have a metal ring inside the boot where it meets the joint. It is supposed to fit tight. Also notice that there is a slot, usually for excess grease to escape. Should go to the inside of the car. I use a short piece of the right diameter exhaust pipe with a block of wood, and drive them on with a hammer.

Red urethane is always an option from Energy suspension. They last longer if stock appearance is not an issue.

Thanks........I got a piece of pvc that fit perfect.....a minor miracle:finga: The are on and facing the correct way. Passenger side spindle on and the other tomorrow if it stops raining!

Love FABO!

Sometimes you have to tap it down to get it to seat properly...

Update,

I'm not having as much luck on the Uppers. I have a piece of exhaust I'm trying to use but it's thinner wall and the BJ is clumsy.:violent2:

Marion

-
Back