MOOG Upper A arm offset bushings.

-

NukeSec1

DUSTinguished
Reaction score
I wanna make SURE I got a handle on this before I have them pressed in this week. I got the MOOG upper A arm offset bushings for the '73 Duster. On the drivers and passenger side, the FRONT A arm bushing is installed with the arrow pointing out (toward the fender or outside the car). The REAR A arm bushing should be installed with the arrow pointing in (toward the engine). Is that correct?

Man what a long day of working on the project it was today! Gonna sleep good tonight!

Autoxcuda posted instructions for the install it increase + caster. I have mine sitting in my toolbox but haven't done them yet. maybe someday... :)

He specifically says not to install them per the instructions in the box.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=112029

basically you want the front of the control arm away from the frame and the rear of the arm closer to the frame. That moves the upper ball joint rearward in relation to the lower ball joint.

I wanna make SURE I got a handle on this before I have them pressed in this week. I got the MOOG upper A arm offset bushings for the '73 Duster. On the drivers and passenger side, the FRONT A arm bushing is installed with the arrow pointing out (toward the fender or outside the car). The REAR A arm bushing should be installed with the arrow pointing in (toward the engine). Is that correct?

Yes that would be correct.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I had it right. I was so tired yesterday I fell asleep sitting at the kitchen table!

I bought the first pair of offset bushings from a member here. Those included nothing more. I recently purchased the second pair from O'Riellys Auto Parts. These include the instruction sheet which says both arrows point toward the ball joint. These also have 4 end caps or ferrules to be pressed in.
I assume the ferrules compensate for a difference in bolt diameters per various applications. More questions than answers for sure.

Moog7103InstallInstructions.jpg

And with that comes the confusion. The included instruction sheet and drawing shows only one side and states "To achieve maximum positive caster install both bushings with arrows pointing toward the ball joint".
Probably doesn't make a lot of difference though. The rear one will need to be rotated back to get the camber setting.
The eccentrics suggest that just one offset bushing at the front of each arm would work too.
I'm not going to study on it though. I'll install them per the instructions and let the alignment guy take it from there.
Happy moparing

It's not rocket science. I disregard the instructions and the arrows and simply look at the holes. You want more positive camber? Install so the bushings "lengthen" the upper control arm. Wany more negative camber? Install so the bushings "shorten" the upper control arm. Want more positive caster? Install so the bushings position the upper ball joint towards the REAR of the car. Want more negative caster? Install so the bushings position the upper ball toward the FRONT of the car. Having said all that, nine times out of ten, if you are installing offset bushing to correct for too much negative camber, something is bent.

-
Back