Mopar 284 solid lift break in

-

K.O. SWINGER

Meeting in the alley since 1976
Reaction score
So I'm going through my 340 this winter and I was thinking that I should break in my new flat tap solid lift 284 camshaft in my 340 before I rebuild it, my thoughts are that if something goes wrong I'm not sending scrap metal through my fresh rebuild. Also my springs are softer and it just seems like a good way to do it. Yes I know I need to be careful to match my lifters back to the same cam lobes. Do you see any negatives to my plan?

If there was a service like this for Mopar cams....

But a little extra effort with your plan isn’t such a bad idea. Peace of mind. Interested in how that cam works out for you:thumbsup:

You are doing extra work for no reason. Do one break in and do it right and then you don’t do all the extra work.

One negative that could be, is if your "soft springs" run into coil bind with the solid cam. I would check that out for sure.

Everyone likely has a favorite, especially if they had a successful break-in using it. Used the rev lube
DBB99E14-8E2B-4D87-93A0-5F606081A5DB.jpeg
on an Isky hydraulic and then the Schneider grease
71DD0E51-1278-4195-BFFA-E686308338F6.jpeg
(I really like that stuff) on their solid (both in my 410) Methodically massaged, work it into the lobes and lifter faces vs. just smearing/coating it on. “How” you apply is an important step.

The spring capabilities or no concern they are for up to 575 lift and the 525 solid has no more lift than the current hydraulic cam I run now.

-
Back