Mopar 340 HI-PO exhaust manifolds (68-70)

-

a1972dartswinge

Reaction score
P5251633.JPG
P5251633.JPG
Hi, have an interesting one to think about. I acquired a set of the 340 manifolds that came on A&E body 68-70 that are the more sought-after style. They don't have ANY casing numbers on them and they were pulled off when almost new, to switch for headers on a 1970 duster 340. The 340 they were pulled from is a 1-9-70 and I talked to the original owner who literally almost 'gave' away the engine and manifolds to me. I doubt the casting numbers or dates were ground off. They SHOULD be cast LH - 2863553 and RH - 2863549, but these have nothing. Any ideas??

Attachments

• Resize1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 831
  • Resize2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 780
  • Resize3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 752
The numbers were removed or they are repops that were buried in the back yard for a month or two so they would look old.

Either way..... They are worth slightly less than those with numbers.

Hmm, I have never seen, or been able to find repops of these manifolds. Only thing I can figure is the numbers were ground off and the manifolds just aged, but what would someone want to take the time to shave off some casting numbers for?

Hmm, I have never seen, or been able to find repops of these manifolds. Only thing I can figure is the numbers were ground off and the manifolds just aged, but what would someone want to take the time to shave off some casting numbers for?

They do repop those manifolds. They come exactly like that.... Without numbers.

I have had two sets like this without numbers. They were not repops. I aquired them long enough ago when there wasn't a reason for repops. One set came off of a 1970 Dart swinger 340 auto, the other from a 1970 Duster 340 4spd. . I only recently sold one set on E-bay . It didn't bring any more or less then others I sold.

I have a set with no numbers too. I thought someone had ground the numbers off, but could not see where they were ground off. I have had them too long to be repos. Hmmm, interesting.....

So with further investigation I found the numbers. For some reason they are stamped on the back side of both manifolds. The RH side is barely readable but I can make it out. The LH side is much more clear but still, hard to see with out wire brushing them a bit. The RH number is on the furthest most forward exhaust runner on the back side. The LH number is on the down-leg to bolt to the collector. If you have a set that is "numberless" I'd look VERY closely to these two spots and I bet you see them.

Like I said, I've searched everywhere it seems like and cannot find a place that re-pops these. So unless somebody finds a place and can post the link here, I don't believe they are re-made. Thanks for all your help guys and gals, I appreciate it!

Now you can believe.........

http://www.accurateltd.com/340-Exhaust-Manifolds-Pair_p_162.html

I googled "340 Reproduction Manifolds" Took about 15 seconds to find them.

Very nice, thank you for educating me on this.

$895.00 is steep! But that is good to know :salute:
I guess I can't know as much as others/have the experience under my belt, only being 24 and all. I'm just happy the Import scene doesn't interest me, I've been playing with Mopars a few years now.

Have a good night!

I have some with no numbers also and have had them for over twenty years so it's not reproduction parts just because there is no numbers....just one of them Ma mopar thing's

FYI I worked at mopar in the 70's and I can tell you easily after stocking several hundred of them.... entire shipments came without numbers cast. They came with metal tags wired to the the middle two bolt holes...... needless to say, the tags were removed for installation.... they did however have an unusual designation/description: they were designated as "factory replacements" and were collected from both initial vendors and the assy plants, not used in assy but used if an assy part failed before loading (rare)... the remaining manifolds were "collected" and shipped to Centerline National Parts depot, reserve/inactive storage....
The possibility exists that they are indeed valid Mopar parts

-
Back