Mopar 383 help please

-
Posts take like 2 minutes of my day. What stops me is job, weather and lack of knowledge. I spend most of my time researching diagnostics. Not trying to be a butt either but maybe a point in the right direction would be nice. Like to some books or good links. Im completely new to all of this stuff.

I just noticed you are in SC. I gotta go to Waterloo to pick up a motor before long. I'd be glad to come look at it if you're close by.

I'll chime in with a couple of ideas. The slow return to idle can sometimes be indicative of a vacuum leak. You can spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb and where the intake mates to the cylinder heads while its running. If the engine slows down or stumbles when you spray the carb cleaner, you likely have a vacuum leak.

Make a homemade "stethoscope" out of rubber tubing. Place one end of the tubing in your ear and place the other end on the valve cover or valley pan or wherever you think the noise is coming from. Often, this will really help you pinpoint where the noise is coming frpm in a loud environment. After that, as said before, buy some gaskets and open her up to check the internals firsthand. Good luck.

Unless you wanna chance at smoked facial hair and maybe blindness from fire, dont use carb cleaner or anything flammable. use water in a spray bottle. you'll know it if you find a vacuum leak.

crap dude have you pulled that damn cover yet?sounds like busted spring to me.youre thinking too hard. trans throttle lever probably not hooked up which will cause gutless performance as it slides into 3rd gear @ 10 mph and smokes trans.no connection otherwise to eng. probs good luck braa dont hurt yself.

Pull off the valve covers and take a look. You got one bad hole

Hey, I was wondering if someone could be a miracle and help me with a couple things on my engine. I had just put a new distributor, intake manifold, plugs/wires and coil into my car. I did this because my car had a vacuum of around 5 (the needle wiggles fast around 5) The electrical stuff was just because. Now my car still has a vacuum of 5 (intake bolts are tight) but start, runs and revs. When I adjust the idle mixture screws I dont get any more vacuum and hardly get any less. The only thing I hear wrong with it from ear is that on the drivers side I hear a click click click. I checked around the manifold but everything looked clean and couldnt feel any crazy air leaks. It sounds like the noise is coming from the valves over either the 5 or 7 cylinder. Also sometimes I can hear a very slight rev in the engine rpm I thought maybe my very old carb has some fuel distribution problems but maybe its the loose push rod? (If that is what the noise actually is) Any ideas? Also, does anyone have a good webpage or information on tightening the pushrods/lifters? I did it on my K5 blazer years ago in HS but dont quite remember the sequences and steps.

So is my 5 vacuum bad if the engine runs well? Could the lifters be contributing to this?

intial timing is a little less than 10 degrees and my distributor has a limit of 24 factory. Also have a vacuum advance.

Hey JungleCrow,

What did it end up being?

-
Back