Mopar A833 iron, 63 B or C Body questions ?

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Pics coming
It's a long tailshaft with the coupler on the end of the tailshaft
Could it be as easy as switching a shorter tailshaft non coupler using the correct hardware ?
Did they make iron 833 tailshaft housing for abodies?

Does your trans look like this one? This is a 1965 B/C body 833 with a 68-69 B-body shifter. I think you can swap out the main shaft for an a-body one and get the correct the tali shaft housing to make it a slip yoke, guts and gear set are pretty much the same, and yes there were iron tail shaft housings for a-body cars. I’m sure someone will chime in with more info.

BFE2777E-3885-421D-B891-CA7C9B82441F.jpeg

Yes, it can be switched. I did almost the same thing when I changed my ball & trunion style 64 transmission to the later slip yoke design.

A833 began in 1964. You can use everything for an A Body, except the main shaft and tail housing. Be prepared to at least replace bearings, seals, gaskets, 3-4 fork, and rear bushing.

Can u swap guts with 1976 833 aluminum OD
Trans ?
Don't want a 3.09 first gear

Yes, but I would use the 64-65 main case. It is stronger, uses the correct for A body small front bearing retainer, and the tolerances are tighter. The O/D main shaft is different than the A body std main shaft, so you can not use the 64-65 gears on the O/D main shaft.

Does your trans look like this one? This is a 1965 B/C body 833 with a 68-69 B-body shifter. I think you can swap out the main shaft for an a-body one and get the correct the tali shaft housing to make it a slip yoke, guts and gear set are pretty much the same, and yes there were iron tail shaft housings for a-body cars. I’m sure someone will chime in with more info.

View attachment 1715987582
Yes

-
Back