Mopar Camping Trip w/ pics

-
Beautiful country and an awesome vehicle! Man you're livin the life!

We had one similar to that when we first started camping. It had a brand new 440 with a 727 and Gear Vendors OD unit. Wife and I redid the inside, and I rounded up enough 16" rims to put 16 inch tires on it in case we had a blow out. You can't find 16.5 inch 10 plys readily available anywhere! Gas mileage sucked on our also, and the only complaint my wife had was the dog house got too hot on her left leg because the exhaust manifold is so close to it. If you find a passenger side, rear dump exhaust manifold at a swap meet....buy a spare or 2! They are bad to crack. We bought a 5th wheel that I pulled with my 04 Cummins truck, and I sold our motor home to a guy on Moparts. Last I heard, the wiring harness shorted out and he was probably gonna junk it. :( Good luck, and enjoy it!

3 bucks every 7 minutes on the road? Ouch, but memories are priceless. We camped in a 440 Dodge bubble top van once, thing hauled ***. I fished in a small high mountain lake like that, caught 5 golden trout in about 15 minutes. Small but cooked them split open skin up on a few wet sticks over a fire. About 4 bites per fish. Delish!

@JDMopar Yep ... sounds exactly like mine ! Wish I had a gear vendors though . Melissa complains about that "Hotdog House " as well . I lined ours with layers of sheetmetal and header wrap .

I've thought if I ever had another one, I'd like to put a Cummins 4BT with an Allison automatic. A 6BT is too long to fit in a Class C. The Gear Vendor was in ours when we bought it. I don't know if it would help mileage much unless you were on a long run of interstate. I tried the gear splitting, but it wasn't worth the trouble. I think ours had either 4.56 or 4.88 gears in it. It was a big Class C to be that old. It was 24' long.

Mopar camping trips
:thumbsup:
Just going and like a turtle, when it's night time you have your roof and bed with ya.... LOL Slow and easy, easy and slow, that's the way we always go! 11 states and counting in the '77 RC

Mopar camping trips
:thumbsup:
Just going and like a turtle, when it's night time you have your roof and bed with ya.... LOL Slow and easy, easy and slow, that's the way we always go! 11 states and counting in the '77 RC

Great little Video ! Love the great lakes .
When I was 17 my friend and I rode our bicycles from Minneapolis up thru Wisconson and into the UP then back across Wisconson along the south shore of Superior into Duluth then back down to Mpls. Took a little over 2 weeks .

We took a week long camping trip in our 79 Dodge 440ci Fireball last week.
This is a 21ft class C with 77k .
10,400 GVW , Dana 70 with 4.10s .

Prior to the trip I installed new cap , rotor , plugs and wires.
A deep trany pan and pickup .
Checked brake pads.
Routed ducting for fresh air from air cleaner snorkel to the cowl like they did for Nascar in '65.

We logged around 500 miles with 250 of that on dirt mountain roads.
MPG was 6.9 no matter what.

View attachment 1715553836 View attachment 1715553837 View attachment 1715553838 View attachment 1715553839
I own a fireball as well and ive been having a hard time finding parts for it. Autozone or OReillys cant find the Fireball in their system. can you share any specs or tips on how to find parts.

6.9 MPG is not too bad.

I had a 76 W200 with a 440 auto, club cab 8' bed, 4.10 gears, it only got 4 mpg.
I traded it in at the local Dodge dealership for a Dakota when gas hit $1.00 a gallon.

Now I have a 2017 RAM 3500 4x4 standard cab, 8' bed 6.4, auto, 4.10 gears 10 mpg, loaded or empty.
It only gets used to haul or tow, a smart man does not use it for a daily driver.

I own a fireball as well and ive been having a hard time finding parts for it. Autozone or OReillys cant find the Fireball in their system. can you share any specs or tips on how to find parts.
What kind of parts are you looking for ? Most of the body parts are available at camper repair shops . Find an old one and they will be more knowledgeable about 70s/80s rv’s

6.9 MPG is not too bad.

I had a 76 W200 with a 440 auto, club cab 8' bed, 4.10 gears, it only got 4 mpg.
I traded it in at the local Dodge dealership for a Dakota when gas hit $1.00 a gallon.

Now I have a 2017 RAM 3500 4x4 standard cab, 8' bed 6.4, auto, 4.10 gears 10 mpg, loaded or empty.
It only gets used to haul or tow, a smart man does not use it for a daily driver.
My daily is a 2017 2500 crewcah with the 5.7
I'm getting 12 and change around town, sometimes I get up on the highway and make it in the 14s

But then when November hits, the plow goes back on and and she spends most of her time in 4wd and I'm averaging 8s

I sold the Fireball a while back cuz the wife hated it .
This is my new adventure mobile .

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

6.9 MPG is not too bad.

Trade that hog for a Cummins Ram.

Trade that hog for a Cummins Ram.
Nope, if I wanted a Cummins I would have bought one when I bought this truck new.
They had a Cummins dually on the lot at the same time, it was about 5K more.

Nope, if I wanted a Cummins I would have bought one when I bought this truck new.
They had a Cummins dually on the lot at the same time, it was about 5K more.
22 mpg (the old 12 valves) and they run forever and will pull anything/ Yea it takes 2 3/4 gal oil fof or a change! :BangHead: :poke:

I can get an older 12v that my buddy owned (RIP) its just sitting over at his dads house.
His dad told me to come get it (free), and drive it home.

I had a 95 Cummins Ram bought new..... until that last storm dropped a 4 log dead pine on the cab of that sucker!!!
I've had four Cummins powered trucks... The '95 was my favorite. Easy to work on and the best milage out of all of them.

-
Back