Mopar Cast Valve Covers Problem

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with some of the bolt holes on the valve cover lining up correctly? The ones that aren't lining up correctly are the 2 in the middle on the bottom side of the valve cover. I have a stud kit to hold them in place and the stud is so close to the valve cover I can't get a washer on. I tried a bolt and there isn't enough room to get a wrench on them.

Ya, they're not the best quality for sure. Easiest thing is either the T-Handles or the tall nuts with an allen head in them. Which ever you use they need to be smooth w/o wrench flats.

I didn't think of using an allen head bolt, thanks.

They are made in the USA at least.

Use a 1" long button head allen screw. Every MP cast valve cover we have is very tight there on iron heads because of the angle the threaded hole is tapped. On the iron head the sealing surface at the bolt holes is at an angle and the threads are tapped perpendicular to the angled surface. The bolt points away from the valve cover on the top and into the valve cover on the bottom. The aluminum head holes are less of a problem because they are tapped differently. We keep a supply of stainless steel button head screws and stainless steel 1/4" washers with an outside diameter of 1/2" to use on all our MP cast aluminum valve covers.

Even valve covers give problems. Only on a Mopar.

-
Back