Mopar circle track question

-

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a B Body for dirt track racing. I would run either the pure stock or street stock class. The car would have a complete roll cage with stock type suspension. I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience circle track racing a mopar unibody. Did you get it to handle pretty easy? How did the body/frame stand up? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Hi 340: Well I was thinking the same as you.From what little input and info I found is.Getting the car to handle the turns well,cornering.Some guys told me Mopars got plenty power but getting them to go around the track as easy as the metric street stock do may be hard.Then one guy told me that it cost 3 X for parts vs metric.I was told some guys raced Mopars at Longhorn Speedway in Austin in the 70's and 80's were hard to beat.But no luck yet finding or talking to them.But they would be the ones who know everything about racing Mopar Bombers,Pure Stocks,Street Stocks. A Duster,Aspen or Volare sure be cool to see doing hot laps.

Yeah forgot about Mopar Chat.Lots of good info,tips,help for Mopar Oval/Dirt Racing there.Some guys not too far from my part of Texas on there.

I have found no info on setting one up or tips on building a good roll cage for a unibody so far. I think you would pretty much be on your own to figure it out. It probably would be more expensive by quite a bit to build too. I'm thinking about the pure stock class in my area and I'm having a hard time just finding a suitable body. They either have too much rust or if they are in decent shape they want more money than it's worth to make it in to stock car. I may have finally found a 74 Charger body that was used once for an enduro race years ago. I need to check it out and see how much rust it has.

This car is for dirt track. That moparchat looks like it might have some guys with some circle track experience. I'll have to get on there and check it out.

My son is building one out of a sponsored Valar'e these are the only picture I have as it is know in another shop and has the ford 9'' in and tran's and mid plate
It's been a VERY hot summer
here is Creeds Modified Video and pictures of his new project, Thanks to Small Block Bill Stone construction we have a good pure stock that will be all inclosed like a supper hobby car on the inside when it gets dun, a show and go!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=149Qtvd9XSc"]dirt track 9 16 017 - YouTube[/ame]

here is his build thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=98456

Attachments

• Modified%2009%20Creed%20009.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 790
  • Nella%20Friends%20FABO%20090.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 855
  • Nella%20Friends%20FABO%20062.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 811
  • Nella%20Friends%20FABO%20107.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 829
  • Axle bearing change 111.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 834
  • Axle%20bearing%20change%20153.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 818
need to post a set of rules for the class you are going to run,I'll figure out where the "grey" area's are and git you thru em,if you are not allowed to have subframe connectors I have a way to tie the subframes with the rollcage that will pass thru tech,for handling we need to see what is and ain't allowed to do some figuring......

We have been doing it for years in an A body, its not really all that hard... We race asphalt on a very fast 1/2 tri-oval in N.C. (concordmotorsportpark.com) in the pure stock division. Currently leading the season points. (#44 Dodge) We race aganst mostly metric chevys, and handling is where we kill them.. I will be glad to answer any questions I can to help ya!

Attachments

• DSC09639.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC09611.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 785
  • PICT0012.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,524
Id say torsion bars is gonna be the 1st on the list, RF and LF rates or diameter choices is going to be tuff unless you know what to start with, if its dirt then you want the car to roll to transfer weight for side bite, get all the different diam bars you can get and start playn with different bars, wheel offset will help adjust how the car handles, as for the rear call Affco springs they make different chrysler leaf springs rates, you may want to install adjustable spring perches or hangars to add rear steer, ballast placement and try to scale the car and get a oval front end alignment,

Nice looking car!! This will be a purestock at a local track, North Central Speedway in Brainerd, MN website is www.racencs.com. I may have found a 74 Charger with very little rust that was used once for an enduro race. I have not had a chance to look at it yet. Have to wait see what it looks like as far as rust. I'm told it's solid. That class has 112 inch or longer wheel base rule. I will mostly be racing against mid 80's Impala's. I have raced IMCA hobby stocks and did pretty good and ran a B-Mod last year. My biggest concern is building the Unibody rollcage to make sure the frame and body stand up to the abuse. I think there is enough torsion bars made that I should be able to find a combination that will work, same with rear springs.

Moparchat is the place to check out. I built the first two cars shown in the pics. The first one was my favorite and won me the most trophies! I learned alot about a-bodies and circle track racing. If you have any specific questions, I can answer. Here is a pictorial history of my racing career!

Attachments

• MVC-006F.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 801
  • RW10.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 786
  • WILDE3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 891
  • RW11.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 776
  • 90npp.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 776
Nice cars!! Love the the way the Dart Sport looks!

Thanks for the comment. I am racing the car in the last picture tonight! Its a pretty neat car 340 W2s 600+ hp, tex racing trans, 6.66:1 gears!

My choice would be to build an a-body for the dirt, but that because I have built one and raced it. If you go that route I can send you pics of the building process. Be prepared for alot of work and dedication to have a succesful dirt track car. Also make sure you have lots of good friends with understanding wives and girlfriends too!

This will be a B Body because of the rules, (has to be 112" wheelbase) if I do this. I know what you mean about help. It looks like I would be a one man operation for the most part. Everyone is too busy with kids. I'm still not sure I want to pursue this project, it might be just too much work to keep it going after a while. This will be a pure stocker, I think I would be able to keep up with it as long as it dosen't get tore up bad every week. I have lots of air tools so I am able to fix em pretty fast. Do you think a longer wheel base like a charger would be competitive with the GM metric frame chassis?

The metric chassis is 108" wheelbase, so you should check the rules again to see.

I know the metric chassis is 108". The reason I was curios what you thought about a Charger being competitive with them is if I decided to move up a class that allows 108" wheelbase. Is it really that much harder to make a 115" wheelbase car handle to be competitive with 108" wheelbase car is what I was wondering. The class I'm talking about starting in is a purestock class and it does require a 112" wheelbase or longer.

valiant's and dart's are 112" wheelbase you'll be fine with the b body availability of parts and already has big bolt pattern stuff on it
I know the metric chassis is 108". The reason I was curios what you thought about a Charger being competitive with them is if I decided to move up a class that allows 108" wheelbase. Is it really that much harder to make a 115" wheelbase car handle to be competitive with 108" wheelbase car is what I was wondering. The class I'm talking about starting in is a purestock class and it does require a 112" wheelbase or longer.

I thought the Valiants and Darts are only 111" wheelbase. I have talked to the owner of the track and unfortunately he is a mopar guy so he knows a lot about them and I know it will be tough to sneek some things through. They are pretty good about enforcing the rules. This class only allows a 2.76 or higher rear gear. They suspended 2 chevies for 30 days for having a 2.92 rear gear. Just wanted to throw that out there for talking about the gray areas of the rules.

I thought the Valiants and Darts are only 111" wheelbase. I have talked to the owner of the track and unfortunately he is a mopar guy so he knows a lot about them and I know it will be tough to sneek some things through. They are pretty good about enforcing the rules. This class only allows a 2.76 or higher rear gear. They suspended 2 chevies for 30 days for having a 2.92 rear gear. Just wanted to throw that out there for talking about the gray areas of the rules.

They are. Will they let you move the rear back 1"? or is a stock wb required?

-
Back