Mopar gets the last word

-

joe willie

68LedZepBarracuda
Reaction score
I chose to restore my 68 Barracuda.
It was still running after 49 years 318.
I've been taking hell for my Cuda being on blocks ,at work ! Well karma is a beautiful thing ! The main antagonist owns a 2017 Chevy truck ! Well he grenaded the motor on 285 in Atlanta yesterday (3000miles on it ) !!
Little victories in life

Ya but its probably under warrantee and will be replaced for free...

I wonder about some of the styling choices on some of the new trucks.

Does anybody else watch youtube.com auto repair videos? It sure seems like GM products have a lot of electrical problems, which have multiplied because their cars now contain so many separate computers. When you combine this with, IMHO, the way GM started skimping on their wiring harnesses and connectors in the late '60s due to the increase in the price of copper during to the Vietnam war, and they've kept skimping on them ever since. I really don't think anyone who knows very much about cars would ever buy a new GM vehicle because their electrical systems are too well-known as trouble-prone. Of course, a lot of people know nothing about cars and will buy them anyway.

Does anybody else watch youtube.com auto repair videos? It sure seems like GM products have a lot of electrical problems, which have multiplied because their cars now contain so many separate computers. When you combine this with, IMHO, the way GM started skimping on their wiring harnesses and connectors in the late '60s due to the increase in the price of copper during to the Vietnam war, and they've kept skimping on them ever since. I really don't think anyone who knows very much about cars would ever buy a new GM vehicle because their electrical systems are too well-known as trouble-prone. Of course, a lot of people know nothing about cars and will buy them anyway.
always liked GM wiring over mopar or ford,..ignition systems and starting systems as well,..all pre 1989 of coarse!

Warentee is spelled with 2 ee's cause guarantee hasn't used them all up yet.

We used to say the same thing about Fords in the late '80's, if people still did most of their own service like say 20+ years before, Ford would've went out of business.
I can't even begin with how shitty GM's ignitions,modules,coils, computers, terminals melting,GEEBUZZ!! Even the good 'ole days, (HEI?), yikes!People have short memories,
(those of Us who were around then to fix 'em), holes burned thru caps, bad wire above the module...POOF!!, can't even count how many ECM's got changed in the years up
'till close to Y2K. Swap the PROM, install, wait for that one to take a s**t, sometimes the drivers got burned out by any number of intermittent coil shorts, trans solenoids,
injectors,purge valves, blah blah blah. I can count on one hand how many Mopar and Ford ECM/ECA's failed on their own w/o some boneheaded move like reversed cable
jump starts etc., just a fact.

always liked GM wiring over mopar or ford,..ignition systems and starting systems as well,..all pre 1989 of coarse!
Maybe you are right, DWB. Maybe it's not that the harnesses and connectors themselves are so bad, but instead just Poor Execution Syndrome ("PES"). GM wiring is especially prone to problems (green crusties) back East where they salt the roads. This is in turn caused by the interior of the body not being properly sealed against water, and connectors mounted under the car where salt water can get into them. I probably shouldn't point fingers at GM, though, because Chrysler certainly has enough examples of PES, too.

Maybe you are right, DWB. Maybe it's not that the harnesses and connectors themselves are so bad, but instead just Poor Execution Syndrome ("PES"). GM wiring is especially prone to problems (green crusties) back East where they salt the roads. This is in turn caused by the interior of the body not being properly sealed against water, and connectors mounted under the car where salt water can get into them. I probably shouldn't point fingers at GM, though, because Chrysler certainly has enough examples of PES, too.
yeah but hydroturbo trans leaks nuff ATF and chevy valve cover leak nuff oil to stop most them green crusties to a minimum...lol,..true tho'

Except of one of those third world countries with no apparent rules, I seriously doubt that anyplace has more dangerous drivers than 285 and I20 and I85 and I75 and The Down Town Connector and ....you get the idea.
I wonder if he oiled the road.
At least we can figure he wasn't the one that shut down 20 in Carroll county yesterday.
Texas man killed in crash on I-20 in Carroll County

C6ZcqwuWgAALgAk.jpg

Except of one of those third world countries with no apparent rules, I seriously doubt that anyplace has more dangerous drivers than 285 and I20 and I85 and I75 and The Down Town Connector and ....you get the idea.
I wonder if he oiled the road.
At least we can figure he wasn't the one that shut down 20 in Carroll county yesterday.
Texas man killed in crash on I-20 in Carroll County

View attachment 1715026266

this is every day L.A. traffic,..285 is bad but,..25,000,000 so-cal residents would argue there infrastructure the craziest in usa,..and i agree!

this is every day L.A. traffic,..285 is bad but,..25,000,000 so-cal residents would argue there infrastructure the craziest in usa,..and i agree!

:eek::eek:!! Yeah, .......that's the reason I will never live anywhere near a city such as that...................................

See, I was very specific when I posted because I suspected someone would take issue with what I said.
I've lived other places that have crowded roads.
I know people, LA people in particular, want to talk about who has the "worst traffic" in the nation.
Yet, it's hard to do much damage when one is going 5 MPH.
I was not referencing volume.
Look again.
It's NASCAR in the ATL with an astounding amount of stupid people behind the wheel.
Except when the inevitable happens. They you sit and wait.
Some of them even buy Chevy Trucks.:D

Last edited:
See, I was very specific when I posted because I suspected someone would take issue with what I said.
I know people, LA people in particular, want to talk about who has the "worst traffic" in the nation.
Look again.
It's NASCAR in the ATL with an astounding amount of stupid people behind the wheel.
I deal with ATL traffic everyday you are absolutely right! Its let's see how stupid we can be.It's me first syndrome for everyone in ATL at 80 mph plus on every road in ATL ! Rumors are that NASCAR drivers are scared to drive on Atlanta roads

Look again.
Some of them even buy Chevy Trucks.:D
28 years driving big truck,..in L.A. one day,..chicago the next,..atlanta erry few days,..NYC mass,..conn,..tennessee,ect ect ect,....i seen it all and all just as bad as any other giving times of day and what have you,...but yeah atlanta is crazy mad bad...but so is the new jersey turn pike theres where nascar skills come into play!!

Damn some real one sided blind people here. Dad was all Mopar I have been all GM until 10 years ago when I started driving crown Vic`s but still kept the Chevy truck line. All cars and truck I have had were reliable. However I did hate the old Mopar I wont start because it is wet out.

Can't tell you how many times my dad would have to pull the air cleaner and hit it with a shop of quick start on a cold morning. Guess how many cold mornings happen in Michigan?

I believe that infamous coldnaturedness is the result of the common Carter bbd carburetor and weak ignition.
I don't know why damp weather also causes cold engine issues but it seems to.
Correct either of those, primarily the carburetor, and I'll take the vintage
mechanics of Chrysler engineering over others.
I run spread bores with no major cold weather issues.

-
Back