Mopar Johnny-say hello...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
He is learning the website,on the fly. He has some pertinent questions. I went on my own accord,to introduce him properly.
72 Dart ??
Hello. I am new to the forum and happy to be here. I have just purchased my second Dart. This is a 72. The car is still in Florida and is shipping this week. I have the vin but no fender tag info yet. I noticed right away when I first saw the car that it had an unusual hood scoop for a Dart Sport Swinger, which is what I believe the car to be( Is that possible?). Not in the fact that it has a hood scoop but in the fact that it is not the usual daul scoops. It is the demon style scoop from 73. Ok so I researched it and found this forum and particularly a thread from back in 2010 talking about this scoop and what it came on. I really do not think that this was an after thought by someone just slamming it on there. It looks factory and one thing I did not read in the thread when I was researching this was anything about a custom type of flat plate with a small lip rolled up about a 1/2 inch all the way around the base that sits on the top of the carb where the base of the air cleaner housing would fit ,and the large diamond shaped block of foam, open in the center, that looks like 4-5 inches tall and goes all the way around the base plate, that seals the base of the hood scoop opening to the top of the carb mounted plate??? ( Sure I have not described this very well) Never seen anything like this in my way to many years of travel. I will get some pictures up close when the car arrives. Just checking in to see if anyone is familiar with this type of assembaly. It does not look home made at all. The foam is cut way to good and fits the opening in the hood exactly and fits on the plate on top of the carb exactly. If someone made this at home I want another one in case this one goes bad. Any help her wopuld be appreciated. I am here to learn and enjoy. I do not profess to know a whole bunch about mopar in general. I do know my 70 Dart inside and out only because it was a heap when I bought it and we spent many a day and night with each other getting each other in shape. Really the best car for old school muscle I have ever owned. Now the 72 is coming and it is in way better shape. I am getting to old to be doing a full resto so a good driver that needs a little TLC I can handle. Thanks for the opportunity to participate and learn. The car in the avatar below my name is the 72 with the hood scoop I am refering to. Unfortunatly when I was reading the forum post from 2010 there was a lot of pictures overcast in the first part of the thread and I couldnot get the understanding of the first entries but caught on as I was able to what was written. Jump in here anywhere and don't worry about hurting my feelings and telling me that it was a hood swap or something like that. I just think it looks cool and I never saw that combo before. I am 60 and grew up with these cars. Never could afford one when I was younger but now I find myself able to and am enjoying every minute of this. Maybe it is one of those only 65 made. I comes from a private collection where some old dude in Daytona Beach passed away and this guy I bought it from bought all 9 of the cars he had. Some Challenger and Charger stuff and a few Darts. Johnny.
Have at it....

Thank you very much for the welcome. Work laptop last night wouldn't let me to welcome wagon. Home unit working fine. Thanks again ABODYBOMBER.

-
Back