Mopar Madness rear axles??

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
Anyone ever deal with the folks at Mopar Madness. Their 8 3/4" axle packages seem pretty decently priced and well described, too.
I'm pretty ignorant about the axles, all I know is what I've read - magazine articles and such. So, any Mopar Madness customers out there wanna sound off??
Or any other makers of 8 3/4" axle assemblies, for that matter, I'm shopping....

ATB

BC

Dont know anything about mopar madness...but Doctor Diff has a great axle package..and you will not get any better customer service from Cass...

i have bought 4 or 5 set of axles from him..plus a spool..ring and pinion...plus other 8 3/4 parts..

[email protected]

(406)883-4772 10-6 Mountain Time, M-F

New high-strength 30 spline 8 3/4 axle package. Most lengths. Includes green wheel bearings and standard length lug studs installed. $300 pair. Choice of standard length, or 3" lug studs.

that is Doctor Diff...ad on moparts....300 includes bearing Installed and studs...standard length or 3 inch long.....

50-60 bucks difference

opps...did not see your link to Doctor Diff ebay ad....lol

I'll chime in for Cass @ Dr. Diff too. I went with Moser for my axles , but have had a couple other deals with Dr. D , and have been very happy with each one.
His reputation speaks for itself.
You are usually dollars ahead going with a known quantity / entity than rolling the dice and hoping it works out.

I'll chime in for Cass @ Dr. Diff too. I went with Moser for my axles , but have had a couple other deals with Dr. D , and have been very happy with each one.
His reputation speaks for itself.
You are usually dollars ahead going with a known quantity / entity than rolling the dice and hoping it works out.

Thanks for the responses, folks. That's three endorsements for Dr. Diff and none for anyone else. All three mentioned his better prices, but when I called him his price was about $300.00 higher than Mopar Madness. Plus, I guess the freight from Montana would be higher than from Colorado. I'm a disabled vet on a fixed income, and have to watch my budget. At the same time I damn sure don't want to pick low price and get burned. That's my dilemma.

My knowledge of rear axles, differentials and such comes entirely from reading books, magazine articles and web postings for several years. Over in East Texas, the old timers say "Some folks learn from books, some from watchin' other folks, but some just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Maybe my best approach is to call both vendors and discuss all the issues I can think of, let both of 'em know what the other one said and see if that helps with my decision.

Old Mopars - ya gotta love 'em!

ATB

BC

Excluding shipping....Doctor diff is 300/pair assembled and Mopar madness is 350/pair assembled.....Where is the 300.00 difference???

Guess I didn't specify just what I'm buying. This is what I was quoted:

A body 8 3/4" rear axle: 489 case 3.23. tru track, with u-bolts and plates 10X2 1/2" brakes.

The whole enchilada, ready to bolt in.

And to be accurate, Dr Diff was more like $270.00 higher

ATB

BC

Not trying to hijack the thead but does dr d sell complete ceter sections ? I want to get a second setup for my 9"

Sounded like you just wanted axles/bearings/studs... Which was what my price comment and most likely others in here were writing about.

Since you added to the original, total rear assemblies, I don't have a comment regarding price other than all of them are more expensive than I put them together for myself.

I never understand the fascination with 489 cases either... 98% of the cars out there will run down the road just fine with a 741 case.

Pick your parts, pay your money.

Guess I didn't specify just what I'm buying. This is what I was quoted:

A body 8 3/4" rear axle: 489 case 3.23. tru track, with u-bolts and plates 10X2 1/2" brakes.

The whole enchilada, ready to bolt in.

And to be accurate, Dr Diff was more like $270.00 higher

ATB

BC
PM me ,I can fix up with most of the 8 3/4 stuff and save ya a bundle...Bear with me my shop has me really busy right now,got a 3.23 sure grip also...What motor you running?

Dont know anything about mopar madness...but Doctor Diff has a great axle package..and you will not get any better customer service from Cass...

i have bought 4 or 5 set of axles from him..plus a spool..ring and pinion...plus other 8 3/4 parts..

[email protected]

(406)883-4772 10-6 Mountain Time, M-F

I agree, Dr. Diff is the best, a true mopar guy, the best prices, and great customer service, highly recommended. If nothing else give him a call, tell him what you are looking at and he will give you an honest opinion.

I have dealt with Cas at Dr. Diff several times, shipping to Canada. is prices have always been the best, and his product is great.

I've used Cass for parts sourcing as I do my own building. In terms of cost - IMO $2600 for a "489" with a crush collar, True Trac, and restored drum brakes is a little strong money for an 8 3/4.
If they had to buy a core A body 8 3/4 and go through it that's fair. But the ad leads me to think they will cut and shorten a cheap case and fill it for that figure. As an example I get about $1200 plus shipping for a "489" chuck with any gear, Tru Trac, everything new but the case and yoke, and the billet spacer. (they want another $100 for for a $40 part there). That's me supplying the "489" core.
It's always buyer beware. I've seen several of these types of vendors popping up and until they get some good feedback it will be a crapshoot. Teh big problem with gears is if the setup is not good there's a very good chance that the new gears will never be quiet, adn once it's in and the "rebuilt clutch type grip" (or worse a "rebuilt" cone type) begins to slip after 100 miles and a couple strip outings it all has to come apart again anyway. So my advice is go with reputation if you indeed only have the ability to "do it once". I've also had to repair units that have were sold as "rebuilt" that were painted and had a new gear set with a new inner pinion and race...

Dr. Diff had a booth behind mine at Mopars At The Strip last year and I talked to him quite a bit, he really knows his stuff and I bought a few things from him there. My wife and his wife hit it off too, just like old friends. LOL

I bought the axles for the 65 Cuda from Mopar Madness, and everything was as promised. and was shipped in a timely manner.
The axles were Yukon with the green bearings pushed on. Can't remember what I paid though.

$2600 for anything 30 years old from Mopar besides a complete car or crate motor...? Yikes! Ill sell you mine and get a Mustang 8.8 LS with disk brakes, some weld on perches and $2K in my pocket....Im Mopar proud but $2K can but alot of Mopar....

Since you are on a budget... Are you incapable due to you disability of putting/bolting this stuff together?

If you can bolt stuff together, here's what I would do.

I'd find someone that is selling a complete A body 8.75 with ANY case and good 3.23 gears, swap in the tru trac/carrier bearings, buy BBP axles and brakes. Sell the SBP axles and brakes and be in around $1500 before painting.

Those tru tracs are EXPENSIVE! Like $600ish last time I checked.

-
Back