Mopar P4876850 Magnum conversion throttle/kickdown bracket: Usable or MP's baloney?

-

cudak888

1-Baker-11
Reaction score
I'm splitting this off from my Maglam (Lagnum?) conversion thread, as it is about time the Mopar P4876850 conversion bracket gets some attention (seeing as there isn't a single discussion that I can find about its use on Google) to see whether it is actually possible to get kickdown working on this thing without welding - or whether it's another dead-end Mopar Performance part.

Until I received mine in the mail yesterday, all I knew of this bracket was this generic picture from MP:
312-P4876850.jpg

Granted, I know I'm walking into uncharted territories here (not to mention that there isn't any record online of anyone actually trying to use this bracket on their Magnum conversion). Just the same, I'm not willing to ring Lokar's door just yet. Unlike any home kludge, this bracket has a hole in it which was (supposedly) engineered by Mopar to fit the upper kickdown bellcrank right where it belongs.

2vi318l.jpg

Problem #1:
The P4876314 bracket has provisions for a bellcrank pivot stud, but the original stud is swedged to the throttle bracket. It's not a serrated press-fit stud - trust me, it's impossible to push the stud out and reinstall it with a hydraulic press (ask me, I tried). Not unless the round end on the stud side is aluminum, and it's been heated and cooled to seat permanently around the steel stud.

Either way, the new bracket is obviously designed for a press-in or bolt-in piece. The stock image doesn't show one, I don't know of any part number to find it (MP's catalog doesn't list the bracket either - surprise), and Googling has been of no luck (nobody else references this part other than a few retailers). That includes searches for "serrated pins," "serrated threadless bolts," and "serrated studs."

Which brings me to my first question: Were any factory Mopar SB brackets made with a serrated stud unlike my '68 bracket? Or were they just too damn lazy to make the stud?

And then, question #2 (best asked in a Foghorn Leghorn voice): Did MP ever issue a manual for this stinkin' little part?

2us7sl2.jpg

k9dzyp.jpg

Now if the stud doesn't show up, I can always cut the swedged end off the stud and weld it into the MP bracket - which is probably the only option, but I'm not going to take guessing as an answer until I've exhausted all possibilities (yes, even sending an email to MP - bet that'll help! :banghead:).

Which brings me to problem #2, which is the reason I suspect a manual might actually exist for this thing:

There is no indication which factory donor kickdown linkage (at the carb-to-bellcrank location) is supposed to be used with this piece. And, of course, this has been a black art mystery ever since Mopar ever invented the concept of designing a kickdown linkage that has a drawn reciprocation dingle arm built into it (I wonder if I got the optional turbo encabulation?). In short, I'm left wondering whether I need a 340 kickdown arm at the carb, or whether I can stick with the 318 unit.

My guess is the 340, just by virtue of the MP conversion bracket's design vs. the stock 318 bracket vs. the stock 340. Almost certain the 318 arm would interfere with the throttle cable if mounted to the conversion bracket:

318 2-barrel Carter:
j8obog.jpg

30uzewn.jpg

340 4-barrel Edelbrock/Carter:
faucetpics832.jpg

-Kurt

In the process of looking for something completely unrelated, I happened across this:

MWPP.jpg

This stud is a reproduction center pivot for a Max Wedge throttle bracket, but it's pretty much the same thing with threads. Brewers Performance confirmed that the stud is 1-1/16" long (the same as the swedged SB piece) and should bolt right in the Mopar Performance Magnum bracket. If the threads are too small to fit snugly in the bracket, a captive bolt should center it.

-Kurt

This comes a few weeks late (seeing that I already posted it in my build thread), but is worth repeating here for future Google searches:

The Max Wedge bellcrank pin fits perfectly in the MP Magnum bracket:

153leyp.jpg

Makes you wonder why MP didn't put it in the kit in the first place, as they include it with their Max Wedge bellcrank kit.

160ess4.jpg

I can answer that too: The pivot itself is about 0.5mm larger in diameter than the original, and the bellcrank wouldn't fit. Not until I put the bellcrank in the drill press, anyway. Now it fits perfectly:

21eh50.jpg

And so, a happy, over-complex, $20-more-than-it-should-have-cost solution to what should have been a non-issue in the first place. :banghead:

-Kurt

Hello Cudak888, I am in the process of trying to get my Magnum motor buttoned up in my Dart and I can tell you, Edelbrock STILL is having issues with this part.
How did you resolve your linkage issue? I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Thx

-
Back