Mopar performance head

-

plymouth1

Reaction score
I recently found this head in its box parts number in photos with more slant parts by chance this a ported race head not the best pics sorry

20221001_084343.jpg

20221001_084516.jpg

20221001_084401.jpg

20220930_181517.jpg

20220928_220359.jpg

Son of a *****, I learned something today. I never knew that was a thing.

OP, if you want to make some money, make some templates for the ports on that head and sell 'em.

I have a 1997 Mopar Performance catalog and it states for the #P4529821,
A Chrysler engineered fully prepped and fully assembled high performance Slant Six head complete with competition three angle valve job using oversize 1.70'' intake valves and 1.44'' exhaust.
Bolt on performance offers a horsepower gain over the stock production head.
Great find !!

I can't believe that somebody actually ponied up for that in the first place.

I can't believe that somebody actually ponied up for that in the first place.
I was a avid Slant drag racer in the late 90's up to 2016. If I was still in the game I would love to have those parts.

Wow those chambers look huge (bad for compression) and the casting around the top of the head is rough. I wonder who suppler number so and so really was.

Wow those chambers look huge (bad for compression) and the casting around the top of the head is rough. I wonder who suppler number so and so really was.
The pistons pictured are likely the 9:1 slugs DC/MP offered. I can't read the camshaft kit number, curious which one.

The pistons pictured are likely the 9:1 slugs DC/MP offered. I can't read the camshaft kit number, curious which one.
It this is the same pile of stuff I saw on marketplace and I think it is, the cam was the .490/276 MP grind.

I have 3 of those in 60-over new in box that won't do me any good in my build, in case anyone else can. P part, don't know what pn off hand, can check if someone would want

Not to be Captain Obvious but it appears the head is based on a peanut head. I think my preference would be to work up a drool tube head.....but a great find non the less.

I was told the peanut head is the better of the two.
Maybe Charrlie_S can set us straight.

I like the peanut head better if only for the 6 (potential) oil leaks it gets rid of.

For a "street" type engine, I don't think there is enough difference to matter. I prefer the "drool" tube head, just because it is easier to change cam/lifters. Also there is a better selection of spark plugs for the tube head

Any of those pistons that I have seen, were just reboxed and more expensive stock pistons, and do not increase the CR.
Curious. Those are P4529417, not listed in catalog or racing manual, but is in the Consumer Pricing List...? Only the P4529418 is shown in the catalog & racing manual as a .060" over 9:1 piston, and they were $14.50/each in '97!!!!!!

I have 3 of those in 60-over new in box that won't do me any good in my build, in case anyone else can. P part, don't know what pn off hand, can check if someone would want
Do You have a good dial caliper? If so, can You measure the compression distance? Charlie has Me curious about this.

Now that I see it written here mine are the 4529418. Have to look and see if my calipers are here or if my kid still has them. Might have to wait till tomorrow and I can bring my other one home from work
I got what I thought was a good deal on the 3 on ebay, thought it would be easier to find the rest. But being 60-over, when the machine shop came back and said my block only needed 20-over, I didn't look too hard for the rest of a set. I'm a fan of boring out as least necessary to clean up the bores.
I'd bought the ones I have before I had gotten my block in to the machine shop.

You do realize that there is no law that says all pistons in an engine have to be the same size. They just need to be the same weight. I had one of my engines with 3 cylinders .030 , and 3 at .060. They should also have the same compression distance.

Now that I see it written here mine are the 4529418. Have to look and see if my calipers are here or if my kid still has them. Might have to wait till tomorrow and I can bring my other one home from work
I got what I thought was a good deal on the 3 on ebay, thought it would be easier to find the rest. But being 60-over, when the machine shop came back and said my block only needed 20-over, I didn't look too hard for the rest of a set. I'm a fan of boring out as least necessary to clean up the bores.
I'd bought the ones I have before I had gotten my block in to the machine shop.
Any update on those slugs dimension?

You do realize that there is no law that says all pistons in an engine have to be the same size. They just need to be the same weight. I had one of my engines with 3 cylinders .030 , and 3 at .060. They should also have the same compression distance.
If the compression heights are all identical, the larger bores will have higher compression.

But that motor should have a broader (slightly) torque curve

Lol, VERY slightly, but You are correct.
So I had the binder with the DC/MP catalogs in it out, & took the time to snap these, since there were actually (2)prepped head part numbers for the Slanty with different descriptions.

20221022_221254.jpg

20221022_221919.jpg

-
Back