Mopar performance valve covers?

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 1974 dart swinger with a 360 equipped with a edelbrock performer intake and a Holley street avenger carb it has the Mopar performance valve covers, the passenger side has the oil filler cap and one sealed hole that has not been cut, the driver side has the mopar performance breather up front and the other whole is sealed yet to be cut, we have the baffle under the breather, but no baffle under the filler cap. Do we need a pcv valve added? We are getting oil out of the breather and oil out from around the valve covers.

I think blow-by is forcing oil out the breather and around the gaskets
I just bought MP covers and I am looking for advice too

Good luck
Dan

I have MP Valve covers on my 340. I have a breather in the rear on the passenger side, a PCV valve in the rear on the driver's side and an oil cap on the driver's side. No issues/leaks/oil smell whatsoever.

I have them installed too... I use PVC and Breather.. but when I need to add oil I just remove the breather

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 904
just a little tip,, i dont know about the mopar finned valve covers,,,but most after market finned old school valve covers, do not have a notch cut in the gasket area where the intake runner meets the head,,if you look at your factory steel vavle covers you will see what i meen,,, if your aftermarket or mopar valve covers dont have the notch,, the valve cover wil not sit all the way down on the head,,and it will leak,,,,,be careful and use a grinding wheel or sanding disc,,,

Yes, short answer is you have too much case pressure. Run the PCV & a breather.

Ok also, I am using studs that have the little nuts on them to bolt on the Mopar performance valve covers, should I swap over to bolts?

Ok so I have a 1974 dart swinger with a 360 equipped with a edelbrock performer intake and a Holley street avenger carb it has the Mopar performance valve covers, the passenger side has the oil filler cap and one sealed hole that has not been cut, the driver side has the mopar performance breather up front and the other whole is sealed yet to be cut, we have the baffle under the breather, but no baffle under the filler cap. Do we need a pcv valve added? We are getting oil out of the breather and oil out from around the valve covers.

Yes, you need an inlet (breather) if you are running a PCV.
One thing to check before installation is that the VC rail is flat, as many have a severe hump to them. The result is the stiff covers don't flex, the gasket doesn't seal, and they leak no matter what. I usually mill the valve cover rail to correct this, and they seal very easy.

100_8287.JPG

I didnt have to grind or mill my covers as I purchased the thicker gasket and all was fine.. Cleared good and the seal is AOK...

Let me clarify-
I mill the valve cover rail on the head itself because I have seem them off .080" from the middle to the ends.

100_8292.JPG

We're talking about MOPAR valve covers, not Harbor Freight
A PCV and a breather should solve the problem

I have a set on my '69 340. I had to notch the valve cover to clear the intake runners. I used my bench grinder and carefully took off a little at a time until the valve cover fit good. I am running a Torker intake. I was shocked when I saw the gap at first fit.

this is the way I set up my valve covers

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 783
Thanks guys, I am running a Edelbrock performer intake I don't think there is any fitment issues.

I am using a Torker with M/T valve covers...NO problems
I am changing to MP valve covers and air cleaner
Could it be the members with fit problems are using counterfeit Edelbrock

Stay away from Harbor Freight or anything Chinese

I like to follow the factory routing.
The PCV on the left/driver side along with an oil fill. RH has a breather. The way I see it, with a worn high mile engine or a fresh build, there will always be some degree of crankcase pressure. The PCV pulls that out from the engine and REburns it. The breather on the RH side actually should be an inlet for fresh air to enter if the PCV is drawing in enough crankcase vapor?

this is the way I set up my valve covers

That is the correct way, breather on one side, PCV and oil cap on the other.

Mopar also has an twist on breather that replaces the oil cap, which would give you breathers on each side.

if your running a breather in each valve cover, ( which is what I do) and no PVC, connected, make sure you have the valve cover baffles installed , or make some.

MOPAR valve covers say Made In California USA
Look inside
I am using these and a Torker that was made before the Clintons sold us out to China
No problems
The guys with problems are using counterfeit parts
They're easy to spot... Garage full of Harbor Freight junk and a Kia in the driveway

I have the Mopar Performance valve covers on my Dart. They are on 360 heads. They may have been previously milled because they have a tight seal. Mine is set up with a PCV/breather combo (single inlet) from the passenger side. That valve cover also has the baffle installed. The driver side has a twist-on Mopar breather cap that I use as the oil fill location. Neither cover has been otherwise drilled out.

MOPAR valve covers say Made In California USA
Look inside
I am using these and a Torker that was made before the Clintons sold us out to China
No problems
The guys with problems are using counterfeit parts
They're easy to spot... Garage full of Harbor Freight junk and a Kia in the driveway

totally wrong,,,,,, i was using cal custom valve covers,,,ever heard of them ??? and a offenhouser 360 intake,,the cal customs need the gasket lip removed at the intake runner,,,inorder to seal,,,parts were made in california in the 1960s,,,and never had a jap car in my drive way,,,how is your kia running ??

For the record I have authentic mopar performance valve covers, and yes on some intakes they hit the runners. Heck google it, there are a ton of guys talking about this. And no I do not have a kia in my drive, All American here! Do a little research before bashing any of our cars or parts. Oh and my torker 340 intake is real trust me.

-
Back