Mopar R3 Block

-
Hummm, the extra head bolt bosses are not drilled.
Did he have the intake and timing cover to go with the block?

If he threw than in with the package, then d get it.
I’m not sure what kind of stroke/piston combo you can squeeze in there.

He did not have those pieces. The machine shop owner is a Mopar guy and he has not bought it because he does not want to chase these parts either plus...It's 59 not 48. He drag races. it's an unusual combination it seems.

Hummm, the extra head bolt bosses are not drilled.
Did he have the intake and timing cover to go with the block?

If he threw than in with the package, then d get it.
I’m not sure what kind of stroke/piston combo you can squeeze in there.
Ok I'm back. The block is a 9" deck. 59 lifter bores and a 4.15 bore. The cam bores look like the std ones. I don't know what he was talking about there. Here are a few pics of the block He still wants to sell it and it is NOT what I am looking for.

I want to thank all of the helpful posters that have allowed me to even prod the prospect of building an R block engine. I learned a LOT in a short amount of time just what I wanted and needed. You guys ROCK!!!

View attachment 1715908167

View attachment 1715908168

View attachment 1715908169

View attachment 1715908170
What kind of money is he wanting for it?

I bought and sold a couple like that one that a local circle track racer used and passed off to a friend to sell. I probably should have held on to the one because it had a real nice crank and set of Crower Rods with it. At least one of them was set up for W7 heads which he scraped as they were leakers. I probably lucked out selling it because I was about ready to buy a set of W7 heads off Ryan right before he went off the grid.

Last edited:
To bad he didn’t have the timing cover and intake.
Timing covers are readily available from Kent Ritter and I believe they are 175 bucks as I have purchased 3 from him but if anyone is needing one it would be best to get a price from him directly, also I guarantee that he would have an intake for it as well although I have never purchased one from him but his parts inventory is beyond massive.

Timing covers are readily available from Kent Ritter and I believe they are 175 bucks as I have purchased 3 from him but if anyone is needing one it would be best to get a price from him directly, also I guarantee that he would have an intake for it as well although I have never purchased one from him but his parts inventory is beyond massive.

just curious how old is Kent?

just curious how old is Kent?
If I was to guess......maybe mid 60's and although I have bought parts from him for a few years now and have talked to him on the phone many times, I actually got to meet him a couple months ago at the Indy swap meet and I have to tell ya......he looks to be in pretty good shape and health.

Ok I'm back. The block is a 9" deck. 59 lifter bores and a 4.15 bore. The cam bores look like the std ones. I don't know what he was talking about there. Here are a few pics of the block He still wants to sell it and it is NOT what I am looking for.

I want to thank all of the helpful posters that have allowed me to even prod the prospect of building an R block engine. I learned a LOT in a short amount of time just what I wanted and needed. You guys ROCK!!!

View attachment 1715908167

View attachment 1715908168

View attachment 1715908169

View attachment 1715908170

Is buy that so fast my shorts would be trying to catch up for a week. The 9 inch deck doesn’t bother me.

There is a guy on one of the other forums that was selling new short deck 48° R3s for 1800 a pop as recently as a week ago.

If I was to guess......maybe mid 60's and although I have bought parts from him for a few years now and have talked to him on the phone many times, I actually got to meet him a couple months ago at the Indy swap meet and I have to tell ya......he looks to be in pretty good shape and health.

Right after I bought my blue heads up duster I met a guy who claimed to be a friend of Kent’s and an engineer on the Ritter block. I didn’t know who he was and we were bs’ing around a campfire after a race. I told him about the car and said I already have a Keith Black block and Calais crank so I was going to change the car over to a big block. I said I wish the Ritter block didn’t have the issues it was having and that’s when he told me who he was. He said although they weren’t perfect but they were better than I described. I asked him if he could get me a price and do. I ended up build my big block.

It would be a good one to build with 59 degree W9 heads….how much is he asking…

The big if. I plan to avoid the 9 and 9.2 blocks as I plan to stroke this. If this is a 9.6 48degree block. what would need to be done to run this on the street with victor heads? What do people do for the cam bearing hole size. Sorry guys I'm very new to the SB mopar and am short on time to learn.
There is no issues running a 4.125 stroker crank in a 9.200 deck with a 6.124 rod Chevy rod

59 degree with the extra head bolt holes cut off for use with a dog bone for roller lifters. Notice the lifter bores are closer to the wall.

1DSCN2812.JPG

Avoid the 48° blocks, they require special cam cores, probably not available, also some had roller cam tunnels. A picture of the lifter valley will help identify. Also the 9.0 deck and 9.2 deck blocks limit the stroke capability, they were intended for 358" big bore short stroke combinations.
The 48 degree blocks are definitely to be avoided... send them all to me, I’ll take all you got!

Thought I read something about the OP inquiring about running a Hyd Flat Tappet cam in an R3 with victor heads.

Sorry, but that seems like a waste to me.

All it takes is money for all these things. short deck, tall deck nothing but $$$$ to play

Thought I read something about the OP inquiring about running a Hyd Flat Tappet cam in an R3 with victor heads.

Sorry, but that seems like a waste to me.

All it takes is money for all these things. short deck, tall deck nothing but $$$$ to play
I had a hydraulic roller ground for a 48 degree R3 block and built a 630hp low compression pump gas 440” engine. It’s a great street car combo.

-
Back