Mopar Turbo

-

Guillermo

Reaction score
I want to build my engine with a turbo aspirated sistem like the first buick gnx,that was a turbocarburator aspirated engine i want some recomendations about this,help me to find the tuning to this proyect,opinions wanted.

Mi Duster.jpg

If you mean the Buick setup that has a Q-jet carb mounted to the side of the turbo and the turbo mounted on top of the intake I would use a different setup if you are going to use it on a V8. It will be much to small. It will work OK and add power to a /6 but draw thru setups have a lot of turbo lag. The '78 - '80 intakes circulated water to warm the carb plenum to improve cold weather driveability. '81 -'83 cars circulated exhaust heat thru the carb plenum to speed the warm up for driveability but warming the intake and air charge in turbo systems is going backwards because you really want to cool the intake charge not warm it up.

Chuck

The main disadvantage to a draw-through system, where the air goes through a carburetor first, is that realistically, you can't run an intercooler for safety reasons. Once you have a large amount of turbo-compressed air that contains atomized gasolne, you have, basicallly a BOMB, that in case of a backfire, can cause a pretty large explosion, and blow an intercooler wide open in a micro-second.

As I'm sure you know, turbos (and superchargers) heat up the air when they compress it, and if you're going to run any meaningful boost, SOME sort of charge-cooling will be very helpful in making more power and warding-off detonation.

A better setup, I think, is to configure your plumbing for a blow-thru carb, where the turbo-compressed air goes through the intercooler (ou its way to the carburetor) without having gasoline in it. This requires a carburetor with modified fuel metering, but such carbs are readily available from places like Barry Grant, the Carb Shop, and many others. That way, a backfire is not so disasterous.

My car has a Vortech centrifugal supercharger in a carbureted, blow-through system, but I couldn't figure out a way to get an intercooler into the plumbing, so I took the chemical intercooling route, with a Snowperformance Boost Cooler. This is simply a high-pressure atomizer that sprays a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water (a lot of folks use windshield washer fluid) into the pressurized mixture on its way to the carburetor. Cooling the charge, it is a big deterrent to detonation, and allows more ignition timing without detonation, so in a lot of cases, actually adds power. More info at www.snowperformance.net

There are several books available that explain all the different possibilities much better than I can. The best one I've found is called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. I got my copy at a Border's Books, but it's available at most book stores and Amazon.com, I'm pretty sure.

Draw-thru systems like the early turbo Buicks used, make GOOD power, but are rare because of the danger element, if an intercoooler is used. Most folks want to run an intercooler for the 15-percent (ballpark figure) power increase they can provide, along with the anti-detonation benefits.

Hope this helps. Turbos are way cool... Wish I could have figured out how to get one (or, two) on my car... Maybe next time!!!

Good luck with your project. My friend's Buick G/N, running 25 pounds of boost, just went 128mph in the quarter at the Buick/Ford shootout at Noble, Ok. This is a 3,500-pound street car with a 231cid V-6!

The possibilites with a V8 are virtually unlimited.

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

It is nearly impossible to intercool a draw thru setup because the fuel mixture has too far of a path to go to get to the cylinders so you can light the motor.

Chuck

That's right, Chuck, and that's a good thing because what you have, with all that pressurized air and gas is a BOMB, looking for a chance to explode...
A very bad idea, intercooling a draw-thru... very baaaaaaad..

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Go to Turbomustangs.com, they have a turbo Mopar section, those guys have been there,done that, tons of info and all Your questions answered.

-
Back