Mopar voltage regulator for race car

-

Illahe

Mopower
Reaction score
Needing help wiring a voltage regulator into a new (to me) race car. It has a two wire field alternator (70 dart model alternator). The car has a 7al2 and a MSD power grid controller with delay box. Don't want to FK the system.

I'm running a complete MSD ignition system, 7AL2 and crank trigger. I have an OEM style solid state regulator on mine.

OK well what regulator do you have? If you have the once popular Mopar race regulator, you wire it like a pre 70. In other words GROUND it, the ign lead goes to switched 12V AKA key, "ignition run" and the field lead goes to either field connection on the alternator. Ground the remaining field connector

This one below

moparpre70.gif

868-011-2.jpg

voltage-regulator-1969-and-older-36.jpg

If you have the "flat" electronic one built for 70/ later, and they make (d) a race version of that also, you wire the middle terminal of the VR to switched ignition, the far right terminal to either field terminal and of course ground the VR.

Last, you take the remaining alternator field terminal and wire it to switched 12V

Like this

moparpost70.gif

voltage-regulator-1970-and-newer-37.jpg

Last edited:
1719800797604.jpeg

This is the regulator I run now appx 19.00. I had way to many problems with the electronic regulators.

OK well what regulator do you have? If you have the once popular Mopar race regulator, you wire it like a pre 70. In other words GROUND it, the ign lead goes to switched 12V AKA key, "ignition run" and the field lead goes to either field connection on the alternator. Ground the remaining field connector

This one below

View attachment 1716270148

View attachment 1716270152

View attachment 1716270149

If you have the "flat" electronic one built for 70/ later, and they make (d) a race version of that also, you wire the middle terminal of the VR to switched ignition, the far right terminal to either field terminal and of course ground the VR.

Last, you take the remaining alternator field terminal and wire it to switched 12V

Like this

View attachment 1716270150

View attachment 1716270147
The only Ignition "On" I have in the engine bay would be the + side of the coil. I was worried about voltage greater than 12.5. Is that possible?

The only Ignition "On" I have in the engine bay would be the + side of the coil. I was worried about voltage greater than 12.5. Is that possible?
No no no not with MSD. If you are running a CD NOTHING and I mean NOTHING else should be connected to the coil except the two MSD box wires Not even the tach

Whatever you are using for a switch to get "run" power out into the engine bay is what I'm calling "run" or "switched 12V"

No no no not with MSD. If you are running a CD NOTHING and I mean NOTHING else should be connected to the coil except the two MSD box wires Not even the tach

Whatever you are using for a switch to get "run" power out into the engine bay is what I'm calling "run" or "switched 12V"
thank you! That's what I was worried about!

I use one of the tiny Japanese Alternators that are 1/2
the size and more output.
I run a switch on the dash with a single wire to energize the
field. If we are running in Class and the race is close occasionally
we will shut it off in High gear. Once in Denver at the Nationals, I
won a headsUp race in E/SA by .0001 at the finish against Earl Blake
340 Cuda.

I am putting out 14.2 volts above 3000 RPM
even with a 5 inch pulley. the MSD does not mind at all.

Do you guys know that the old Mopar Perf. blue Regulator was "Constant
Charge"?

I use one of the tiny Japanese Alternators that are 1/2
the size and more output.
I run a switch on the dash with a single wire to energize the
field. If we are running in Class and the race is close occasionally
we will shut it off in High gear. Once in Denver at the Nationals, I
won a headsUp race in E/SA by .0001 at the finish against Earl Blake
340 Cuda.

I am putting out 14.2 volts above 3000 RPM
even with a 5 inch pulley. the MSD does not mind at all.

Do you guys know that the old Mopar Perf. blue Regulator was "Constant
Charge"?
Is the alternator a Denso unit?

-
Back