Mopar Wheel on Flaming River Column

-

GaryS

Reaction score
The tech guy at Flaming River said that all their steering columns are splined for GM wheels, and that there is not an adapter for a Mopar wheel. Can anyone confirm that, or have you seen or heard of a homegrown way to work around the problem?

That seems crazy to me, limiting their product to GM.

What wheel are you using, the stock OEM one?

That seems crazy to me, limiting their product to GM.

What wheel are you using, the stock OEM one?

Haven't decided for sure which year and model, but will probably be one from a Cordoba, and I know that spline pattern was used for many years. Whatever I finally decide looks and works best, it will definitely be a Mopar wheel, not aftermarket or GM.

Well yes, and no....I tried to put a mopar 3 spoke wheel on my street rod with flaming river column.....Spline count was the same but MA mopar has that one master spline in their wheels so I figured I would grind out just the one master spline with the dremel carefully so I only took out the one spline, figured the rest would hold it.....It actually worked good but my problem was the shoulder on the steering wheel would not cover down far enough on the column.....In other words, mechanically it worked great, but there was a gap from the end of the wheel to the start of the collar on the stainless steel column......It was maybe 1/2 or so where you could see the internals.....purely cosmetic, but it just didn't look right.....

I ended up using a billet specialties sniper steering wheel ....here are a few pics....

steeringwheel005.jpg

coupesteering009.jpg

coupesteering012.jpg

coupesteering011.jpg

coupesteering010.jpg

coupesteering014.jpg

coupesteering016.jpg

It still amazes me that they would limit their production to just GM wheels, with the exception to get a Mopar adapter so you can run a Grant wheel.

It still amazes me that they would limit their production to just GM wheels, with the exception to get a Mopar adapter so you can run a Grant wheel.

guess they figure if you are going aftermarket column then you will probably go aftermarket wheel too.

Here is a late 60's to mid 70's Camaro wheel I have in my dart I like it
It has a wood grain finish to it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 124
-
Back