mopar won't stay running with carter 625 .

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
:hello1:just installed a Good used carter avs 625 cfm. problem is......... it will not stay idleing .. have to hold the throttle on to 2000 rpms in order for it to run .. and it runs real bad like it is dumping gas down the carb. But it is not dumping ! Could this be a vacumn leak ??
Installled a new gasket when installed carb but is was a very thin cheap gasket.. anyway > I took the carb off and clean it, blew everything out and rebuilt it and installed again and still did not want to idle. any ideas ?? Thanks so much !!
:banghead ::help ::-k:dontknow:

sounds like a float is stuck. or not enough fuel pressure, or a vacuum leak. could be a few things. sorry im not much help without being there lol

Thanks for your help .........

I had the needle and seat and floats out and off and checked everything there blew everything out ...... all looked good to go..

The thing is...... I installed the original 500 carter afb and the engine ran fine ..

I'm thinking maybe that thin base gasket was now sealing the carb properly..

yes ,,,,, rear vacumn port on carb was hooked up to the pvc hose on valve cover. everything good there.

NOTE NOTE ::::::

additional info ...............

When I installed the carb the first time , it ran fine on high idle until it got up temp and them I knocked down off high idle and gave it a couple throttle hits into the secondaries Then it died .. never ran right after that.. ..

hope this additional info may help diagnose the carb issue .
Thanks Guys !!:prayer:

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me as the prime suspect. Here are some other things to check since you said it was good on fast idle until you kicked the choke off. This indicates a lean condition on the run and several things can affect it. 1. Remove the covers from the metering rod vacuum chambers and start the engine. Best that someone else starts the engine as you observe. You will probably see the metering rod piston get sucked to the bottom on each side and then the engine does not want to run without gassing the throttle. Using a small screw driver or even a toothpick, raise the metering rod piston up and see if it changes idle quality. If an improvement is detected, it means that someone probably changed the primary jets to a smaller size or put in thicker metering rods - both scenarios greatly reduce the fuel flow to the idle circuit and not just the high speed circuit. The easiest cure is to stretch the springs under the metering rod pistons a little at a time until idle quality improves. Edelbrock also has tuning kits that include higher rate springs and their usage is based on engine idle vacuum. Do you have any idea what the engine vacuum reads when the 500 carb is on it and idling good? 2. The metering rod may be too fat for the orifice of the jet. It call for a smaller stepped rod or a larger jet. Of course the pesky spring is still in the mix! 3. The air bleeds in the primary boosters (brass skinny tubes that stick up and brass-bushed holes in the side) may be plugged. If they do not pass air, the idle mixture will go rich requiring you to turn in the idle screw to give it more air but then it uncovers too much of the idle transfer slot and that is a no-win situation. If the idle bleeds (the larger of the two in each booster) is too large, the idle mixture goes lean and again, you tend to set the idle screw up to get RPMs but enough fuel still cannot enter the idle system, the high speed system kicks in at the boosters and you gain nothing. Begin with the curb idle screws backed out 2-1/2 turns. Turn the carb over and adjust the idle speed screw until 1/2 of the skinny idle transfer slot is uncovered by each of the primary throttle blades. This is a good starting point. It is highly unusual for air bleeds to be a problem in these carbs! Did you buy this carb used and somebody that didn't know what they were doing messed with it? 3. It is flooding...but you will see fuel dripping from the boosters and it will be obvious. I seriously doubt this is you problem. Check these things out. I hope just increasing the metering rod spring rate starts you on the road to success. Good luck!
Pat

Thanks guys !
I do not remember where or which mopar I got this off of.. it's been in storage for many years.. but it was all complete and appeared to be a good used carb so I installed it on the dart..
I never thought of blowing out the rod tubes or check the orifices to jet size..
I never checked the vacumn on the 273 yet..
intake is a ld4b not modified.
here is apic of the carb ..
Another thing is somone epoxied up one air screw hole on the bottomside of carb. what's up with that you think?

Attachments

• 625 carter avs ovrl.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 625 carter bottoms.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 243
wow, maybe they were having the same problem, and that was an attempt to fix it, OR your problems are a direct result of that. if im not mistaken , that is a vacuum source. your mixture screws actually go into the bores.

model number on this carb is H8 - 4616 S
625 cfm .

Yes that is a idle adjustment port .
I'm going to have to dig all that epoxy out the port then..
the screw does turn in and out .. I did check that .

Thanks guys !
I do not remember where or which mopar I got this off of.. it's been in storage for many years.. but it was all complete and appeared to be a good used carb so I installed it on the dart..
I never thought of blowing out the rod tubes or check the orifices to jet size..
I never checked the vacumn on the 273 yet..
intake is a ld4b not modified.
here is apic of the carb ..
Another thing is somone epoxied up one air screw hole on the bottomside of carb. what's up with that you think?

Here is what I ended up doing on the carb... Scrapped it !! .. it's going to a parts carb now.
that mixture screw that was drilled out on the bottom side and expoxyed up may be my problem . sooo ........... I had another 625 same number and for a manual trans ( Better yet ) so I just switched the botom half .. It should be all good now. just have to try it .
thanks for you help you guys !
JOHN

-
Back