Mopars in the Movies? Been done yet?

-
I always liked Vanishing Point, Gone In 60 seconds, and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. (The originals). I don't like the modern drifting movies though. They are kinda stupid in my opinion.

Don't forget More American Graffiti

Brewster McCloud
Moonshine County Express
Running on Empty
Catch me if you can (1989)

The movie with the Willy's is Hot Rod. I actually bought it on VHS from Blockbuster and burned it to disc. Not the best quality, but it is my all time favorite movie. I saw someone mentioned Phantasm 1,2 and 3. Nice Cudas. Natural Born Killers had a nice Challenger conv't. Twister had a 94 Dodge truck before they were on the dealer's lots. Does anyone remember Viper - kind of a knight rider knock off? There was a movie called either Catch Me or Catch Me if You Can, where the main character drove a Mustang, but the bad guy had a Duster or Dart Sport. The TV show Burn Notice has a nice Charger with a six pack hood. Ill post more when they come to me.

Has anyone seen Phantasm, Phantasm II, and Phantasm III? they all have Cuda's in them. The third one has a Hemi Cuda with even a engine shot.

Happy Gilmore had a Duster

Terminal Velocity (with Charlie Sheen) had a Challenger that got shot to pieces

Cannonball Run prt 2 had the Chrysler limo in military dress

www.imcdb.org/vehicle_2481-Plymouth-Valiant-1...
Here's a site with some info on "DUEL" looks like it was a 71 Valiant, as for the guy who says Steven Speilberg picked the Valiant to signify Dennis Weavers weakness against the Peterbuilt, It's a bunch of hooey. If you saw the interview,Speilberg just wanted an everyday looking car that would stand out against the So-Cal desert scenes. I guess if he'd been driving a 340 Duster, it would have been a pretty short movie. :burnout:

3000 miles to Graceland.....Kurt Russel,Kevin Costner, Courtney Cox. She had a 64-65ish light blue convertible Dart (or valiant) that was shown a bunch in the movie.

Cheech & Chong's "Nice Dreams" had a couple mopar cop cars.

"Groundhog Day" had Bill Murray changing the tire on late 60's white Dart full of old ladies. BTW, the car was absolutely mint.

Man cant think of the title but Dennis Weaver had scamp or swinger and a tanker truck was trying to get him that was a cool movie.How about Macon County 69 Charger that it ended when they hit a trane .Cool topic.

If I remember correctly, it was a Dart.

And for those of you that hate those Fast and Furious movies, I can admit the plots suck and there is a lot of fabricated bull. But at least the directors/producers of those movies thought the best muscle cars were Mopars. Mopars have been missing out on a lot of respect since they dominated racing in the 60's and early 70's. Watch older movies like Vanishing Point, Two Lane Blacktop and Hot Rod, they talk about how the Mopar cars are the ones to beat. Once Chrysler pulled out of Nascar in the mid 70's, the general automotive public kind of forgot about us. Which brings me to these lame movies. At least they feature the cars that should be featured. The only reason I watch these movies are to see the Mopars. Had I not seen the Charger in the commercials or that Vin Diesel was going to cameo in a GTX, I would've never watched them. Let's face it. They could've very well substituted brand x muscle in place of the Mopars and those movies would've been that much worse.

Oh yeah, my movie contribution, Tommy Boy (GTX).

Quentin Taurentin's Death Proof has a 68 Charger and a 70 Challenger that both get destroyed.

Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon has a sooped 73 Duster that gets destroyed.

Vampire in Brooklyn has a 71 Charger.

Tommy Boy has a 67 GTX or Satellite convertible.

Joe Dirt has a 69 Charger Daytona Clone.

Christine also has a 70 Charger in it.

Natural Born Killers has a 70 Challenger Convertible

Daisy's Roadrunner in The Duke's of Hazard was a 73-74.
She also had a white Jeep CJ7.

These are just a few I can think of off hand.

Joe

The Crush had a Valient Conv't. I thought of Happy Gilmore last night, but someone beat me to it. Al Bundy (Married with children) drove what he thought was a brown Dart, until he washed it and it was actually red. By the way, Daisy drove a 73 or 74 RR in the first one or two episodes, then it was a 71 or 72 until it fell off of the cliff. Like we wouldn't notice.......right?

The family truckster on the first Vacation was a Mopar.

I think the van in Corvette Summer was a Mopar, but I'm noy sure.

Man cant think of the title but Dennis Weaver had scamp or swinger and a tanker truck was trying to get him that was a cool movie.How about Macon County 69 Charger that it ended when they hit a trane .Cool topic.

Return to Macon County was on last night, recorded it, havent watched it yet.

And who could forget "The Van" with Danny Devito, and that goofball kid who trades in his 273 4-speed convertible Dart GT, for a "pimped out" 70s Dodge van. Oh yeah, & his arch nemesis Doogan, who drives the Chevy van, yet wears a Direct Connection T-shirt ! toooo funny!

Al Bundy's "Dodge" (really a Duster) from Married with Children
Chuck Norris' Ramcharger in Lone Wolf McQuaid
Snake's Charger on the Simpson's
The A100 vans from the William Shatner commercials

the Superbird in the background as stolen car in the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds as well as the 'Cuda they steal.

For extra trivia, someone mentioned Arnie's friend's Charger in Christine. Can you name the car he drove in the book?

My favorite Mopar was the camaro they blew up at the end of the original vanishing point movie.

vp.jpg

-
Back