more 727 rebuild advice

-

rtse440

Reaction score
OK! I bought the book ,and a have factory repair manual. Took all the measurements while disassembling, cleaned, replaced seals and thrust washers and started to assemble. Reduced the end play down on the gear train.
Input end play was at .069". When I assembled I had .105"?????? So I increased the thrust washer on the pump to front drum got it back to .069". To get it lower I had to increase the thrust washer between the 2 clutch packs is this correct? Any suggestions on why my endplay increased, and I doubled checked to make sure I didn't leave out any other shims or thrust washers.

totally confused

That is an odd one if your certain all the parts are installed correctly. Generally the end play decreases with new parts. If there is one thing I can't understand it's how come the 727 and 904 are so much alike except for the size but to adjust the end play on a 727 you are only supposed to change the front thrust washer yet on a 904 you change the thrust washer between the clutch packs. With that said I'd keep the washer between the clutch packs original as there is a possibility it'll alter the oil supply port location to the rear clutch throwing it out of alignment. Not sure that's true but it's a possibility. One other place you can take up some play is at the small diameter metal thrust washer located between the input and output shafts. Some trans. also had a metal shim (hardened thin washer) installed there to take up play. If I remember right it was about .030~.035" thick.

Thanks for the reply, Off to work this morning plan on taking it apart later today and rechecking everything. Will keep you posted on what I find.:banghead:

I just did one with the help from Tracy (Fishy68). I ended up with about .038 end play. New thrust washers included. I didnt check end play before tear down. But after I got mine together at first I had about .090 end play. I installed the thickest fiber washers and got it down to where its at now. He is right its odd that you had more after new parts then you did to start. It almost suggest you may have missed something OR things arent seated correct. That washer he is talking about between the input/output shaft is about the distance your off. Double check you installed it and the hashes lines go up.

If you use the thick fiber washers make sure you air check where the sealing rings ride on the drum,if to thick in may not seal on the first washer on the pump stator.there is also a thrust washer that fits on the output shaft that is a selective washer.I would change that first.

If you use the thick fiber washers make sure you air check where the sealing rings ride on the drum,if to thick in may not seal on the first washer on the pump stator.there is also a thrust washer that fits on the output shaft that is a selective washer.I would change that first.

Pressure checking the assemblies is a good thing no matter what washer you use. Good suggestion. Personally I have never had a problem using the thickest thrust washer up front but again it's a good idea to pressure check everything so you know it'll work when installed. Nothing sucks more than getting it installed in the car and it not work right because a lip seal rolled on you. About the selective thrust washer you mentioned on the output shaft, would that be the small diameter metal one that's in between the input and output shafts? If so I don't believe they come in any other thickness other than .062~.063"... The 904 trans. had them in 3 different thicknesses but not the 727's and I don't think their the same diameter. As I mentioned earlier some torqueflites had a metal shim in there also along with the metal thrust washer so if it doesn't have one there you can put one there. If I'm misunderstanding you on what washer your talking about correct me.

OK! I found what was causing my excessive end play. The output shaft bearing snap ring was not in the bearing groove.:eek:ops::cheers:
The last question I have is , How tight do you make the clutch packs? My front is .076" range is .024"-.125" and rear is .038" range is .025"-.045". Do I want to be at the lower side of the range?

OK! I found what was causing my excessive end play. The output shaft bearing snap ring was not in the bearing groove.:eek:ops::cheers:
The last question I have is , How tight do you make the clutch packs? My front is .076" range is .024"-.125" and rear is .038" range is .025"-.045". Do I want to be at the lower side of the range?

Good deal.

Those ranges your touting sound like factory suggested ranges which are very liberal. I like to see .055-.065 on the front clutch so your close. I like .035-.045 on the rear clutch so your perfect there. If you can tighten up the front clutch a little it'd make the trans. last longer but considering the factories loose specs and most of them lasted well beyond 100,000 miles your not bad.

-
Back